Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 18th, 2011 14:00

Dell Laptop Studio 1558: Fan issue

Hi everybody,

I have an issue of fan noise, it's very loud and it was loud than my music that I listening. I have looked for the solution in internet and it said to buy the cooling fan, I did but it doesn't help. Does anyone have more solution instead of buying cooling fan?

Dell Laptop Studio 1558, 465 HDD, 4 RAM.

Pat

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2011 15:00

Hello Pat

Have you tried running advanced fan diagostics?  Start the system while tapping F12, choose diagnostics, allow the basic diagnostics to run, then once completed choose hardware diagnostics, then select custom tests and then fan tests.  Report back to me with the results.

TB

35 Posts

June 24th, 2011 07:00

Hi TB,

I did follow your step and the about the result I don't know how to look at it, but it said "Pass" all of the hardware except Hard Drive portion that it said "Running" and it run other other scan without completely scan hard drive (so it didn't said "Pass" on hard drive portion) I took picture of the final result... but I couldn't upload, I don't know why it keep saying to insert the picture but I did. However the picture said in final result " Hard Drive - DST Short Test ". So does this normal? and I think the sound doesn't come from fan as I thought, it comes from hard drive whenever I use my laptop more than 2 gb ram.

Pat

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 24th, 2011 15:00

Happy Friday Pat

So if you think the hard drive is where the noise is coming from there is a quick way to find out.  Disconnect the hard drive from the PC and start the system up. It should boot to the BIOS with no issue.  If the noise is still there, then you know it isn't the hard drive making the noise.  If the system runs quite though, shut the system down and reconnect the hard drive and start it back up again.  If the noise is back then you know it is the hard drive.  Here is a link to the service manual; it is fairly simply and fairly quick to remove the hard drive.

support.dell.com/.../hdd.htm

TB

35 Posts

June 24th, 2011 17:00

Happy Friday TB,

I was unable to go in BIOS, but the sound was gone when I turn on my laptop. Yes, it is hard drive that makes noise. So I had check in Dell support center, it say that my warranty will expire in 50 days, so am I able to claim for my laptop with this issue? If so, they may change my hard drive, so I wonder will my Window 7 install DVD will able to use again, because "it can use for only one PC" I'm not sure what does it attach with.

Pat

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 27th, 2011 09:00

Shoot me a private message with the service tag of the system and your shipping and email addresses, and phone number and I will check what service options are available.  As far as your Windows Seven disk, if this shipped with the computer it sould be fine.  

TB

35 Posts

June 28th, 2011 14:00

TB,

Couple days I have found information about hard drive:

- I ran entire computer hardware test with Dell Support software and nothing need to be fixed.

- I opened Window Task Manager to see what go(es) wrong with the CPU Usage or Memory the result is when I run some program that require many CPU Usage it will run frequency until it makes the sound.

- I have updated all the Window Updates and it is seem to slow down RPM(Round per Minute).

- "The noise of hard drive is normal" is on the back of Toshiba Hard Drive when I take it out the second time.

From these tried I, I think it is fine now. Some Dell drivers I downloaded cannot install, maybe that's why and it downloaded from Window Updates(I don't know is that possible or not that Window Updates will fix Dell hardware). However I think I'm good now, if I have really serious problem, I'll try to check everything first before asking.

Thank you for all sugestion,

Pat

No Events found!