Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2016 21:00

Dell Laptop XPS 13 L322X: 8 Beeps boot after replacing the screen

Hello All,

I have Dell Laptop XPS 13 L322X (Service Tag: CC2YVW1).  I am using a an external Monitor  since the screen is flickering with vertical lines and ghosting colors. I updated the Bios and the video driver, and tried the diagnostic mode (Power on and the D key...et) without success.

I just bought a  new screen compatible replacement but the I cant boot  using the new screen and  am encountering the 8 beeps sound. I tried to boot with the external monitor and using the powering the laptop with the D key, the new laptop screen started to switch colors four times and go back the beeping sound.

I tried also to disconnect the Battery and the Ac power  and to hold down the power to empty the capacitors left stored energy without success.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Sala

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 26th, 2016 12:00

In that case, send the screen assembly back for replacement - it's likely the cable is bad (but since it's an integral part of the screen, the whole assembly will need to be replaced.

May 26th, 2016 22:00

Looks to be a faulty screen. Get a replacement for it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2016 11:00

What is the Dell part number of the replacement screen?

May 25th, 2016 22:00

Hi Saladine, 

Thanks for writing to us. 

Looks to be a DOA (dead on arrival) screen. usually 8 beeps indicate either the problem with screen or with the video card, sometimes both. 

Aren't you getting display on external monitor with the new screen attached. if no, then put back the old LCD again and try. This will give a clear picture if its the new LCD or some other hardware.

Regards

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 26th, 2016 04:00

It sounds like the screen is OK -- meaning it's either the video cable that is not (did you replace the cable with the screen -- if not, that's next) -- or that the mainboard is the faulty part.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 26th, 2016 11:00

Thank you EJN63,

The new complete screen comes with the video cable and wifi/cam cables.  The mainboard is working correctly, because when i put back the old screen and with the external monitor, i am using the laptop for my all my normal tasks (office, internet, Video...etc).

Replacing the cable will be very difficult to do since it will cancel the guaranty to sen back the item and to be refunded.

Thank you for your help and the story goes :)

Saladine

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 26th, 2016 11:00

Thank you Hema,

I am getting only the Dell logo at the external Monitor with the new screen and 8 beeps.

During the boot, I also pressed F2 to have the Bios Setup displayed at the external monitor without the beeps  and after the exit i will have the logo Dell again at the external monitor with Beeps :)

When I put back the old screen, The external monitor is displaying correctly the Video output and the laptop is working correctly, except the old monitor is still flickering but I am still able to use my laptop normally.

Thank you for your help,

Saladine.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 27th, 2016 12:00

Thank you Hema and Ejn63, for your help,

Salah.

May 27th, 2016 21:00

welcome anytime

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2016 10:00

Hello Hema,

Please here are some updates about my story with the screen replacement:

I received the new screen and It is was detected without beeping. Except that the starting Background login page is split in two vertical zones, with one left zone having a layer more contrasted ( more blue) and superposed to original background .

After the login, this split contrast subsists. Any video or image opened from the browser or a document will have this two verticals zones with different contrasts. If I reduce the window with the image or video, and slide the window to the right from the center, the image or the video is working correctly in the half right screen zone.

The external screen is displaying everything correctly without this issue.

I updated the video and monitor driver, uninstall and install the monitor (generic PNP monitor) , updated the video driver with old version and the issue is still there. I stared the system in safe mmode without success.

I used all the dell diagnostics monitor and video tools also without success.

Please, advice is it is a problem of the new Monitor firmware that need to be applied or a Physical problem with the screen.

Thank you for your help,

Salah.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2016 13:00

Thank you Ejn63,

I just contacted the vendor to have the part number. The new screen was presented as New Dell XPS 13 (L322X) Laptop Lcd Screen Assembly VKWJC 13.3" 1920x 1080 FHD

In waiting, my existent screen is  dell Monitor part number VKWJC , refrence 320-9392 from the Dell Service Tag: CC2YVW1

Thank you,

Salah.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 15th, 2016 20:00

Hello Jennifer,

Here are the information that i can read from the labels on the video cable:

New screnn replacement

CN-0VKWJC-70896

3CR-4573-A00

D13 B LCD Cable

DDD13BLC010

Thank you,

Salah

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 16th, 2016 18:00

Hello All,

The new display is detected Generic PNP Monitor with an old windows driver.

I tried to update the Monitor driver  by manually  selecting the inf file from  the extracted L322X_Video_Driver_9T6P5_WIN_9.17.10.3062_A03 folder without success. 

Could you please, post the link to download  a compatible firmware for the screen replacement above.

Thank you.

Salah.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 20th, 2016 16:00

Hello All,

Please any update about a compatible firmware?

I still have the wallpaper background divided in two symmetric vertical zones with the right zone more contrasted and with  a kind of Aero/ effect.

Thank you,

Salah.

No Events found!