Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2013 12:00

Dell Latitude 6430u - Fan Speed

Hi,

I´m using Dell Latitude 6430u for few days. I have upgraded from Win7 to Win8. Everything works fine, but the CPU fan seems to be very noisy already at low ultrabook load. I have upgraded BIOS to the latest version (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/latitude-6430u-ultrabook ), but this problem problem is still present.

Have you some advice, how to reduce fan speed?

Thank you!

2 Posts

September 28th, 2013 03:00

I am very displeased to say that changing the fan did not change much for me.

AGAIN, if a programmer from DELL passes by this forum, the problem is the following:

FAN SPEED GESTION.

You have to allow it to run at low speeds AT ALL TIMES, so it won't kick in full speed 5 minutes after begin completely iddle ! 

I am no expert in the domain, but I believe this is not the biggest fix Dell had to do until now, and I'm amazed it hasn't been done yet on A06.

Getting a little around the topic here, but we are talking here about a 1000$+ computer. It should be able to be on par with other models of other brands (like the one with a fruit logo, not to be explicit) on noise and temp level. 

If by the usage of caps lock and strong vocabulary, i succeed to attract someone's from DELL attention, then this angry rant would've been worth it. Because, looking around the web, I know I'm not the only one not happy with the noise performance of this laptop.

Which is a shame because it is a beautiful machine.

Regards,

3 Posts

October 21st, 2013 03:00

I tried all three items (new Bios, new fan and setting to quite mode) and nothing changed the behavior of the laptop. The fan is either off or runs at ~3900RPM.

I hope there is another bios update coming that fix the problem.

1 Message

October 21st, 2013 04:00

I too have updated the BIOS to the current latest version and had both the fan and motherboard replaced.  My fan is still either off or runs at ~4000RPM, when it is unacceptably loud.

Can't fault DELL support who have been excellent, but I agree that the issue with the fan requires a fix like a further BIOS upgrade.

It's a real shame because it lets down what is otherwise a very capable and attractive laptop.

I look forward to it's resolution... soon?

281 Posts

October 21st, 2013 14:00

I have the SAME issue.

Just got two brand spanking new 6430u's and ONE of them has this fan issue....I mean this thing would turn on and very shortly after go into turbo fan mode---its f-ing annoing as @$$#@

Its running updates now, and I will look for a new BIOS, but am not expecting anything....

I also started windows updates on these at the same time (just about) and the noisy fan POS is waaaay behind....

Total FAIL on Dell.

Just checked both mine...both at A06--the latest

now i gotta mess with arranging service on a *** BRAND NEW computer.

Dell- your making it easy to go with another company.

6 Posts

February 12th, 2014 23:00

Hi everybody,

It is quite for a long time now in this thread. But I was wondering if you are still having this issue and accepted it.

Or that it is solved.

Regards,

Jeroen

3 Posts

February 12th, 2014 23:00

Hi

It's not solved, I tried all available software options and even replacing the fan but there is no difference. It still runs either full speed or not.

Best Regards

Jeo

6 Posts

February 13th, 2014 00:00

Here the same. DELL support promissed me that the next BIOS verison will have the solution. But I installed A07 and no change at all.

Even in the description of the BIOS update not one word about it.

So it looks like they said that to get me quite for a while and hoping i will not come back on it.

Jeroen

10 Posts

February 13th, 2014 00:00

On my laptop dell support replaced the motherboard+fan and It's not solved at all, I just try to avoid use this laptop as much as possible (and evangelize on my company to avoid buying dell products). I just tired of try to solve this (support normally talks to you like if you were dumb or crazy...).

1 Message

March 11th, 2014 17:00

My 6430u ship date was 7/8/13, same day as the article 614364 was issued to replace the fan.  The fan sound was normal, but was running at high speed most of the time which was annoying.  This didn't start until about a month ago, early February 2014.  I thought it was some software or virus and finally came across this thread today.  I upgraded the bios from A02 (I think) to A07 and upgraded the audio drivers.  Been working on the machine for a couple hours and it is silent.  Problem solved, glad I didn't have to send the laptop in for fan replacement. Thank you!!!

20 Posts

April 10th, 2014 22:00

I've had my 6430u for approx 15 months.   It's been great, and practically silent the entire time I have owned it.

I upgraded from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 yesterday and all of a k sudden, my fan is quite noisy.   Before it would occasionally come on, cool down the unit and turn right back off.  Under 8.1 it's coming on almost instantly at around 3900RPM, and staying on all of the time.   Then, when it does RAMP up, it gets about 2-3x as loud as before.

I've upgraded from the A06 BIOS to A07.  I've updated all of the drivers.   I've downloaded the Intel HD4000 drivers direct from Intel, as well as the Intel Chipset Utility drivers direct from Intel.

I put in a spare mSATA drive and loaded Windows 8 and things seem normal again.  I installed 8.1 and things got louder and fan fan more consistent.   I tried the Intel Chipset Utility drivers here and I think they helped.  So, I went back to my normal SSD, tried the Intel Chipset drivers and I think they are helping a bit, but with more stuff installed and running in the background I think it's simply pushing this a bit harder and the fan is working harder.

1 Message

December 15th, 2015 16:00

I just got a refurbished 6430u and fought with the problem for hours. I upgraded everything but none of them help.

The only thing I found helpful for the noise problem is turning off the HyperThread and TurboBoost in BIOS. However, this is a trade off but a solution (you will lose performance). I'm fine with that since this laptop is used for browsing webs and document tasks.

No Events found!