Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2016 07:00

Dell Latitude D-630 Backlight but no display

I was donated this laptop.. and was pretty sure it worked better at one time.. but had some display problems, and progressively worse.

I seem to only have a Backlight- no external monitor Display. Although message on External Monitor "check cable connect" does go out when it's plugged into the external port.

It does sometimes boot up to the OS-(sometimes). I can hear the Welcome sound..

Other times It doesn't seem to boot up to the OS?  (I know the keyboard is malfunctioning and hear beeeep beep beeeping.)

But It would be nice to see the BIOS Options on start at least. or Get the External Screen to work to see what might be going on..

Wifi / Power/ Bluetooth/Battery and HD buttons light up on the Right-
ON the Far Left - one of the lights with the lock icon(?) is light up.

I have a feeling it might have something to do with the Factory Aluminum Shims under the Processor and Display Chip.

Makes no Difference with the RAM or Battery removed.. except that it definitely won't boot...
I always use the Adaptor for the Power.

I'm not sure if Holding Down FN + start is doing anything.  Sometimes I just see a BLACK Screen and don't hear anything...
Could it be running a Diagnostic and I don't know..(with just the Power/Battery and Bluetooth light)
And if so- How long might it take / Could it fix the problem - or just give me a message to let me know what the problem is- which I won't see.

Could I disable the keyboard- without disabling the power? Can one of the Keyboard Ribbons (Cables)be cut and still enable the power_Perhaps that might be of some help..
If so I could use an external keyboard.?

• 

17K Posts

September 2nd, 2016 10:00

DMMACKAY1,

You can click the link below to download the online user manual for troubleshooting help. It also provides information for removing/replacing parts.

Latitude D630 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

The keyboard leds on the left side of the computer represent the following.

Starting from the Left LED and moving right.

The green lights located above the keyboard indicate the following:

The green lights located above the keyboard indicate the following:

This is an image of the Number Lock icon. Turns on when the numeric keypad is enabled.
This is an image of the Caps Lock icon. Turns on when the Caps Lock function is enabled.
This is an image of the Scroll Lock icon. Turns on when the Scroll Lock function is enabled.

Battery Status

If the computer is connected to an electrical outlet, the battery light operates as follows:

• Solid green — The battery is charging.
  • Flashing green — The battery is almost fully charged.

If the computer is running on a battery, the battery light operates as follows:

• Off — The battery is adequately charged (or the computer is turned off).
  • Flashing orange — The battery charge is low.
  • Solid orange — The battery charge is critically low.  

17 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 12:00

Thanks so Very Much for that Information Jesse!

I had left the Computer on for a Couple of hours with the Black Screen.. (so I'm not sure if that was doing a Diagnostic or not). Then shut it off when I seen your reply.

I thought I would check out the indicator lights which you provided the Locations of...

I let the computer boot up and realized that it was the "Caps Lock: on by using the keyboard and checking it..

Also the Battery light was Flashing Green which meant that "it is almost fully Charged"  according to the code you provide.

However, I thought I would check out the lights on things..
The Number lock button which was off - did come on and off when I checked it ...

I thought I would also look for the Wifi Button, which I found on the Side_
I clicked that off - and I could hear the Device Uninstalling (sound) .. Then Clicked it back on and heard it installing ... and did it a couple of more times...

Then I shut the computer off, and When I restarted it...

WOW- SCREEN DISPLAY- !!!!

I restarted it, to check it again, And Another Perfect Start up with Screen Display...About 5 More times and Perfect Start ups with Screen Display!

I am SO SUPRISED!!! 

I wonder if there was just a Glitch in something like the WIFI Connection ???

I do notice however; the external monitor is not coming on..
Device Manager shows all Drivers installed and does not recognize it- nor does it seem to show in the Screen Resolution Window... but - I can live without it (for now)- as long as the Screen Works

*Battery Indicator Flashing Green (about every 10 sec... ) shows battery is fully Charged.

This is an Intel  Duo Core  T7250 @ 2GHz
1 GB Ram (I believe there is only one slot on the Bottom for it)
Running Win7 32 bit

So, I'm thinking it might be a good time to update the BIOS if necessary, and perhaps the OS?

SMBIOS Version/ Date   A17, 1/4/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4

Any Suggestion or Perhaps a Link with Download for a BIOS UPDATE?

Suggestion at this Point - Again Greatly Appreciated and Welcomed!

UPDATE:

After I removed the ram and reseated it- it starts up but there are some display problems, and the keyboard malfunction as more prominent as well... maybe the keyboard also has something to do with it?

17 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 13:00

I removed the Ram and gave it a wipe and reseated it again,
This time I restarted it and back at Square 1

Backlight only![:'(]

Repeat the Wipe Ram and Starts up again, with Display Glitches...
Hmmm Something wrong with the RAM
I'm not sure that I am using the Right Stufff...

Says use DIMM B DDR2 ONLY - but I'm not sure that's what I got?
I also see it says DIMM A on TOP Side- So I guess there is a Second Slot? 

After looking at the link you Provide Jesse, I see there is a Second Slot for ram under the mouse, and also in the link there's a link to do some tests- which I will try to get the display to work and connect to the net and try..

17 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 16:00

I see there is a suggested answer, and I actually did take out the RAM several times but it would only show a Backlight on the Screen..
Then I used an Eraser to Clean off the Pins...(As I seen this in another Article about Ram being faulty) Re-Seated it and the Display lit up again, but with some Problems... but after some Tasks performed--the screen Cleared up.. for now.

I'm Connected to the Internet doing updates.. as it's almost been 3 years and IE has to be Upgraded to IE 11

And because my Browser is outdated, I don't seem to be able to Load up the Diagnostic Link- but i'll try it when the updates are done .. Hopefully there's one for the RAM / Graphics.. those are the two I think are most important at least.

17 Posts

September 3rd, 2016 19:00

I had updated my Browser and the internet is connected- However- seem to be having trouble getting Windows updates

I did have some temporary problems with the screen.. but they seem to have cleared up for the most part (for now).
I did run the Dell Diagnostic Tools..
Shows no Problems with the Short Diagnostic... nor the RAM (but as I say- the screen is in good working order at the present time...)

I ran the Specific Diagnostic for the Memory and no problems
I could not Run the  "video Card Stress Test" as it says the driver is out of date... or some other message....?  I also take notice that the Screen Resolution is 800x600 and does not have any other setting to choose.... 

I had also noted that DELL does not Support the Laptop for Win7.
Graphics                 1.0

Gaming Graphics   1.0
Primary Hard Disk  5.1  (120 gb)
__________________________________________________________________________________
I had Manually Installed some drivers - one for the Video Display- which I'm not sure if it installed correctly- I was able to changed the screen resolution.

When I went to driver Downloads- it only recommended the BIOS UPDATE-  I did download and Install the updated Bios... Which had an Effect after the installation.

AGAIN the Screen with only the Backlight- Restarted the computer- and Perfect Full Screen Display.... and without any problems - SO FAR (8 hours...)

I do think the Eraser Trick (Cleaning the Pins) might have done some good.  Since that- I have not had as many Problems with the Display- In fact- Less and Less.

This Laptop has pretty well been turned on and running for the past 2-3 days...And I do think it's time to give it a break.

I have Scheduled for Windows to do a Memory Test on NEXT START UP- Which had not revealed any problems.

After Reboot- Screen Problems again-

I will keep you updated on the status of this Post..

After a couple of start ups hanging, I went to Safe Mode- and did a system restore-
Still had some Screen Problems but left the laptop off for the night- 

Next day starts up Fine- I was also able to adjust the Screen Resolution now to 1024x768 being the only other option -but "Burn Images" appear, as it is being used.
Can't run Dell Diagnostic "Video Card Stress Test" -

No Drivers need updates by Dell Driver Detection.

Kinda thinking I might try another OS?

17 Posts

September 5th, 2016 06:00

After Re-Installing Vista

I had a few start ups with only the backlight- but Display is Working Correctly as of now.- I had noticed I also Take Notice - that the External Screen now works with Vista!

I  think some problems might be related the NVidia Chip- As, I seen a comment that one person has several Latitudes and Advised not to get one with NVidia as it had problems..

I had also taken notice with Vista - the NVidia Driver is installed - Where as with Win 7 it was not. However; I was not able to get the Win Updates with Win7 - Or, it was just taking Excessively Long to find them.

Device Manager shows 2x Unknown Device  -  After 1st batch of WIN UPDATES...
Might have to check out the Dell Support and see if they will install them later.

Time has yet to tell if there will be other Display Problems... I'll post an update.

17 Posts

September 5th, 2016 18:00

I'm not totally convinced that the Memory or Socket are the Main Problem:
After doing some more troubleshooting:

After leaving the computer on all day and going out while it did some updates - which the Display was working fine...
I come home 8 hours later, only to find Screen Display Problems..
It is possible that it had rebooted after some updates- but I'm not sure

After rebooting several more times (which updates were configuring) - There were Screen Diplay Problems and then only a Backlight- and NO EXTERNAL MONITOR DISPLAY>>>
I had unplugged the Laptop Screen and I got Several Good Start Ups..With only the EXTERNAL MONITOR.

Currently doing 4 more Win Updates with only External Monitor.
I will update this in a couple more day.. if it is working OK>> Or sooner if this is not the Correct Problem.

No Events found!