Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2011 07:00

Dell Latitude D400 Problem

Hi All,

I hope I'm in the righjt place for this query !

My Dell Latitude D400 is playing up.  The symptom is simple so I hope the diagnosis and cure will be, too.

When I press the power button to turn on, the button's green light comes on but then goes off after about 4 seconds, and nothing else happens. No fan or noises or beeps or other lights or anything else.  Lifeless   I've tried with and without the battery, ac power, ram, screen, hdd, keyboard and wireless card, and I've tried fitting known good components from another D400, but nothing makes any difference.

A few days ago it was a bit more lively...various green lights were coming on but followed by unexpected turning off, frequent white screen and cursor freeze. At one point I got it working fine and I thought I'd cracked it, but today it's back to the 4-second green power light.

Any ideas, anyone ?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 28th, 2011 08:00

System cooling fan is clogged with dust and does not turn.  Laptop shuts down due to overheating.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 28th, 2011 14:00

Remove any battery.  It should come on when attached to the AC adapter.  If the fan was clogged too long the cpu may be burnt up and the motherboard fried.  D400 is a really cheap model to get a working one though to swap hard drive to.

I have a local shop that carries several of the D Series

http://www.pcretro.com

2 Posts

September 28th, 2011 14:00

Thank you SpeedStep.  I hadn't tried that before because the fan was OK the other day, plus it's almost a full stripdown to get at it, but I've now done it and sadly it hasn't helped.  There was a bit of fluff in it, but obviously not the culprit.  I suppose I should check that the fan is functional by trying it in my other D400, but that's another couple of hours work so it will have to wait a day or two.  The only other thing I can do is replace the CMOS battery, which may not achieve anything except to eliminate it. as a possible cause.  You'd think that somewhere on the internet there would be something about the green power light coming on then going off after a few seconds.  If there is, I haven't found it yet.  Any other ideas ?      

No Events found!