Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2016 04:00

Dell Latitude D830 self powering on

Hello all,

I am having an issue with a Latitude D830 that I have no clue what to do on. I recently purchased a refurbished D830 running Windows 7 Home. The battery is weak so I have the computer set up on my desk plugged in to line power and sitting on a USB powered twin fan cooling pad. I make sure the computer is turned off and the cover closed before I leave for work each night but when I come home the next morning the computer has somehow managed to turn itself on. The green power light is on, the battery indicator light is flashing green and orange and the wi-fi light is on. When I open the cover, the screen is black and I have to power the computer down and reboot it to get the display to come on. I open my Speedfan program and all of the temps are in the mid to high 50's. Can someone give me any help on what this thing is doing? Thanks.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 21st, 2016 08:00

rm31859,

Try starting the computer and tap the F2 key to enter the system bios. Once in the bios navigate to the power management option. Disable or turn off any device that will wake the system up from off mode or hibernate mode. Information below is listed in your bios. 

Power Management
Option Description
Auto On Mode
This field sets the days, if any, when you would like the system to turn on automatically.
  • Off— System does not automatically turn on.
  • Every Day — The system turns on every day at the time you specify in the Auto On Timefield.
  • Weekdays — The system turns on Monday through Friday at the time you specify in the Auto On Time field.
The factory default setting is Off.

Auto On Time
This field sets the time of day when you would like the system to turn on automatically.

USB Wake Support
This field allows you to enable USB devices to wake the system from Standby.
  • Off— Do not allow USB devices to wake the system.
  • Enabled — Allow USB devices to wake the system.

This feature is only functional when the AC power adapter is connected.

If the AC power adapter is removed during Standby, the BIOS will remove power from all of the USB ports to conserve battery power.

Wake on LAN/WLAN
This field allows the computer to power up from the off state when triggered by a special LAN signal or from Hibernate state when triggered by a special wireless LAN signal. Wake-up from the Standby state is unaffected by this setting and must be enabled in the operating system.
  • Off— Do not allow the system to power on when it receives a wake-up signal from the LAN or wireless LAN.
  • LAN Only— Allow the system to be powered on by special LAN signals.
  • WLAN Only— Allow the system to be powered on by special WLAN signals.
  • LAN or WLAN — Allow the system to be powered on by special LAN or wireless LAN signals.

70 Posts

January 21st, 2016 18:00

I followed the above instructions and the auto on mode is set to everyday and I tried to change it but now I have a bigger problem. Apparently there is an admin password. I purchased this laptop from a reputable Ebay dealer but even he doesn't know the password. I know I can't prove to anyone on here that I own this laptop but I really need help with this.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 21st, 2016 19:00

How can he not know the password?

Didn't he do a fresh install of Windows 7?

If not, you should.

70 Posts

January 21st, 2016 21:00

if anyone wants to look at what I have it's Ebay item # 151949531637, the dealer is crewjack443ph7 and his store name is Got What You Want. My Ebay ID is rm31859

• 

16.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 05:00

rm31859,

If you do not know the password you are going to have to format and reinstall Windows as suggested by  ieee488. Below are links to help you reinstall Windows.

Windows Support

Latitude D830 Drivers and Downloads

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 06:00

if anyone wants to look at what I have it's Ebay item # 151949531637, the dealer is crewjack443ph7 and his store name is Got What You Want. My Ebay ID is rm31859

Why tell us?

You need to contact the dealer and ask him to explain why he can't give you a Windows 7 password.  It says on the auction it is a fresh install of Windows 7 which means he was the person who installed Windows 7. All very shady.

I tried asking on eBay about another D830 he has for sell with Windows 7. His account has messages turned off.

You need to ask yourself how he is able to sell you a laptop for $50 that has Windows 7 and Office 2007 and still make a profit.

Does Windows 7 Home Premium show as Activated?

How about Office 2007?

70 Posts

January 22nd, 2016 13:00

The reason I put that info on here is so that everyone can see that anyone willing to help me on this can see that I bought the computer and actually own it. I know that password issues can get real iffy over ownership issues. And on a personal note, I came on here trying to get some help. What I don't need is smartass, snippy comments. So if you don't have any constructive help to offer then just keep your mouth shut.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 14:00

The reason I put that info on here is so that everyone can see that anyone willing to help me on this can see that I bought the computer and actually own it. I know that password issues can get real iffy over ownership issues. And on a personal note, I came on here trying to get some help. What I don't need is smartass, snippy comments. So if you don't have any constructive help to offer then just keep your mouth shut.

WOW!  Really?  Was your rant necessary?

YOU have issues.

Go to your seller and get help from him. That is the "help" you were given here. The laptop is out of warranty. Not Dell's problem at this point.

You bought it on eBay, and you need to resolve it using eBay.

You could always return the laptop. What's stopping you?

P. S. I have bought quite a few laptops on eBay including the five I currently own. So I am very familiar with the tricks of some of the sellers.

70 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 19:00

Just a follow up on this. The seller emailed me that he had never set an admin password but if I sent him the system number from the BIOS he could send me a password to unlock the system. I did this and he sent me password to unlock it and it worked. So I guess this seller is legit after all, HUH?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 24th, 2016 06:00

Just a follow up on this. The seller emailed me that he had never set an admin password but if I sent him the system number from the BIOS he could send me a password to unlock the system. I did this and he sent me password to unlock it and it worked. So I guess this seller is legit after all, HUH?

Gee, and didn't I tell you to contact the seller.

I guess you listened after all. HUH?

He didn't set a password, but he was able to send you a password.

Now that makes NO sense.  whatever.

I also told you to check whether Windows 7 and Office 2007 was activated.

No Events found!