Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2016 05:00

Dell Latitude E5450 Won't boot - only black screen

Hi, my dell laptop won't boot. no beep codes, and I have 2 different LED POST codes

When charger is plugged in the code is

ON-FLASH-ON or SOLID-BLINKING-SOLID

When charger is unplugged, battery only:

ON-FLASH-FLASH or SOLID-BLINKING-BLINKING (the blinks are not the same time, they alternate)

And after some time of trying, the laptop will boot but error will be shown which is this

if I run the diagnostics, result will show that memory is okay, but it will fail the test when it is testing the hard drive.

Is this a motherboard problem? I tried re-seating the RAM but same problem with occur.

October 12th, 2016 22:00

I really need help regarding this

2K Posts

October 14th, 2016 04:00

Hi RICHARDMACAGA,

Both the led patterns refer to Memory related errors.

What is the exact error with the HDD?

Remove and reseat the memory modules and test each module in each slot and check for any led indicators.

If nothing works, I would suspect a faulty motherboard.

If the system is under warranty, Please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name, Phone#, Address and Email). If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Let us know if you have any other queries.

October 16th, 2016 03:00

Unfortunately, the system's warranty has long passed.

Tried reseating the memory, but it gives the same error., Tried using different memory, but still, it gives me an led error but a different one (searched that error, results were still it's in the memory, forgot the exact pattern)

The only error it gives in diagnostics, both online and onboard were Short test fail or when I try the long test in onboard, it gives long test fail. When I tried HD Tune, the only error I received is the Spin Up time, it suggest that I replace the hard drive, other than that, the others are warning though

2K Posts

October 16th, 2016 12:00

Hi RICHARDMACAGA,

Thank you for the update.

Based on your description, I suspect a motherboard fault as alternate memory being tried also generates memory errors.

Also, if the Short Self Test has failed, that would indeed be a HDD failure. It might possibly be a 0142 / 144 /145 error.

If you wish to replace the parts yourself, you could get them here as well - http://bit.ly/2dtsb8m

October 16th, 2016 22:00

I did another diagnostic and this are the only errors I received. The motherboard test was passed.

Here are the results of the diagnostics. This is a full diagnostic, the 40 mins one.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/MY/en/mybsd1/product-support/servicetag/7BYGQ32/diagnose/showresults/7BYGQ3241F396DFDC6B4A91902D9249BBFD17EF

28 Posts

October 17th, 2016 00:00

Have you tried inserting another hard drive and seeing what you get there?  Even a blank hard drive, if the drive is okay and everything else is okay you should get a different message stating that it can't find an OS.  If you try a different drive and get the same thing, then I would say that your motherboard is causing issues and can't detect the memory.

2K Posts

October 19th, 2016 20:00

Hi RICHARDMACAGA,

As advised by the other user, have you tried another HDD on the system? 

The errors in the diagnostics also isolate the HDD as the source of the issue. I suppose once you replace the HDD, the system should be fine.

October 19th, 2016 20:00

Unfortunately, i tried another hdd also, but still the same issue. Maybe it's the motherboard

2K Posts

October 22nd, 2016 18:00

Hi RICHARDMACAGA,

Well, yes, in that case, I suppose the HDD controller might be the issue and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

No Events found!