Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

October 29th, 2017 07:00

Dell Latitude E5470 Backlit keyboard

Hello Everyone!

I bought an open box Dell Latitude E5470 today at a very cheap price. Unfortunately this laptop had a non backlit keyboard and a TN (1600 x 900) panel but it had the much needed 6300HQ, so I went ahead and bought it thinking that I can always buy a backlit keyboard later from aliexpress. I looked at aliexpress again today and noticed something I had overlooked before purchasing the laptop and that is that all backlit keyboards available for E5470 have a different shape thanks to the two stupid top mouse buttons that are not present in my variant of E5470. I now have to find a new top panel with frame that has the cutout for those two extra mouse buttons. This is a nasty situation for me as I am not even sure if the required top panel will be compatible with my variant of E5470. Any advise on what I should do?

9.4K Posts

October 30th, 2017 09:00

Hi wapda11,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies, but unless the computer was originally ordered from the factory with a backlit keyboard, the circuitry will not be there to operate the lights.

6 Posts

October 30th, 2017 11:00

The circuitry i think is there because I looked at the keyboard cable located beneath my laptop's battery and I can clearly see an additional port right alongside the main keyboard cable port. i confirmed from a couple of keyboard replacement youtube videos that this extra port is indeed used for that back light function black cable that comes with backlit keyboards.

9.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 11:00

Good Deal.  Perhaps that one was ordered with the circuitry and maybe someone changed out the keyboard sometime during it's life.

No Events found!