Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2016 10:00

Dell Latitude E5550 randomly going to sleep

I just put out a bunch of new Latitude E5550's for our users. This one user kept complaining that it would go to sleep randomly while she was typing. I tried re-imaging it, replacing the docking station, mouse, power supply and anything else plugged into it and it still kept doing the same thing. But I could never get it to happen while I was using it. So I replaced the laptop all together with a known good one and still the same results. Finally after I was about to give up completely I noticed she was wearing a bracelet and some rings on her right arm. I asked to try removing all her jewelry and see if that makes a difference. Sure enough it fixed the problem. Turns out her bracelet had a magnetic clasp that was triggering a sensor to think the lid was being closed and putting the computer to sleep.  I hope this can help someone save their sanity because I couldn't find anything on the web about anyone else having this same problem.

August 30th, 2016 11:00

My first search about this issue led to this post and I'm glad you mentioned it because I was having the same issue.  My fitness track kept triggering the sensor in the laptop putting it to sleep.  I couldn't figure out why it was going to sleep when I touched it but I tested without my fitness track on and sure enough that was the culprit.

1 Message

January 25th, 2017 04:00

I've been battling this issue for about a month now and like you I'd gone through the motions all the way to getting to user to work on a different laptop.  It was after this that I tried a google search and ran into your post; many thanks.

September 18th, 2017 11:00

I cannot give you a real cookie, but I hereby bestow the "you get a cookie" award to you. Fantastic. My new this year boss and HR-Finance Executive Director with her brand new 5570 was getting this and I was really at a loss to where to go with this problem after taking a hard run at it. THANK YOU!.

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 09:00

Thanks for this, was caused by the magnet on my Apple Watch! :-)  Life saver.  Thought I was going mad!!

2 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 09:00

Yep - Well done.  Caused by my apple Watch Magnet!

No Events found!