Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2017 06:00

Dell Latitude E6230 LTE WWAN Card Whitelist

Hello,
I have an Dell Latitude E6230 and i want to buy a wwan card .
I read something about whitelisted cards that works on dell laptops.
Is this information true?

If yes what LTE card i can buy to use in Romania on those bands :

4G TDD 2600Mhz (band 38) and 4G FDD 2100Mhz (band 1) ?

Thank you

9.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 08:00

Hi jojelu,

Thanks for posting.

Since this Forum is primarily USA, there's probably not many people that can answer your question.  Perhaps if you try one of the other language Forums, you might get more answers.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 08:00

There are no "whitelisted" cards -- you need one that has (1) full driver support for the OS you're running (and be careful here - just because windows 7 drivers are available does NOT mean Windows 8 or 10 will work, etc.)., and (2) it must be supported by your service provider.

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 12:00

Thank you for your answer Dell-Robert P .

I can choose the LTE WWAN  that works  in my country.

What  i want to know if it is  compatible with my laptop?

I read something about bios wihtelist cards for WWAN and WLAN used by DELL in some laptops to force the customer to buy only  from them.

I want to know if Dell Latitude E6230 has some bios restrictions if not i will buy the WWAN , i don't want to buy something that i can't use.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 13:00

There is no such whitelist.   The system slot is a standard PCIe one and the SIM card slot likewise standard.  Note, though that you MUST verify that drivers are available for your OS and the card you buy (from the driver list that Dell provides, it appears ONLY Windows 7 is supported - not WIndows 10, at least with the cards they shipped).

These cards are extremely software-dependent - if the drivers don't exist, the card WILL NOT work.  

4 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 13:00

Thank you for your answer Ejn63.

So you say i cant buy any LTE WWAN that has Driver support  for my curent OS (Windows 10 64BIT) and knows  the LTE bands of my curent service provider?

No bios whitelist to buy only from Dell?

It sounds too good to be true.

4 Posts

March 5th, 2017 23:00

Thank you.

Yes i know that's the reason i want to buy a different WWAN that works on Windows 10 and also to have LTE capability.

So my final conclusion is:

I can buy any PCIe WWAN that works with Windows 10(drivers and software ) and add  it on my laptop WWAN slot.

If i am wrong please let me know.

Have a nice day.

No Events found!