Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

July 26th, 2016 06:00

Dell Latitude E6410 Bios Recovery

Hi, i am using dell latitude E6410, the warranty ends, i am updating my bios from A11 to A16, the installation run well then a message show Bios Upgrade complete(Or something like that) then it reboot itself then nothing appear, its seem my laptop has brick,  what can i do?the led on on/off switch has not blue light, its just nothing,i try to call dell support they wont help me due to end of warranty , i try to disassembly this laptop then i see dual bios chip, how can i activated the secondary chip or anything can i do to bring this machine back to normal, please i begging anyone please help me i need this laptop to finish my final year project .

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

July 27th, 2016 04:00

Hi arifyaaco887,

Thanks for posting.

I apologize that your computer seems to have an issue.  In the case of a bios failure or a chipset failure, the technicians will normally replace the motherboard.  I'm unable to locate information that the chipset can be "jump started" or replaced to resolve this particular issue.  Motherboards can be purchased from a variety of places like Dell Spare Parts, parts-people.com, or Discount Electronics.

If that is not something you wish to do, then a suggestion might be to utilize your backup data storage.  Another suggestion in case you didn't back up, would be to remove the hard drive, and using a USB enclosure, you can then recover the data with another computer. 

Hope this information is helpful.

Regards,
Robert

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 27th, 2016 11:00

Robert gave you good suggestions, but before you rush out to buy a new motherboard, you might want to try clearing BIOS by disconnecting the coin-cell battery on the motherboard (not to be confused with the battery power pack). Then press/hold the power button on PC for ~30 sec before reconnecting the coin-cell*.

Instructions to remove the coin-cell are on page 21 of the manual. If this is beyond your capabilities, you might want to take it to a reputable PC shop. This may or may not work, but I think re-setting BIOS by disconnecting the battery (assuming that actually works for you) will be less expensive than installing a new motherboard.

*Note: if the coin-cell is more than ~2-3 years old, this might be the time to install a fresh one...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 27th, 2016 11:00

And please post back and let us know if disconnecting the coin-cell solves your problem.

Good luck!

July 27th, 2016 12:00

Hi rohe thanks for the reply, iam alredy disconnect the coin-cell or bios battery, the condition also the same, only the keyboard led and cpu fan + cd rom is functioning, still no dell splash screen.

July 27th, 2016 12:00

Hi robert thanks for the reply, the motherboard is so expensive, I will other method, and all my file on my os partition cant be recover its unreadble outside the machine only the other partition works.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 27th, 2016 13:00

Hi rohe thanks for the reply, iam alredy disconnect the coin-cell or bios battery, the condition also the same, only the keyboard led and cpu fan + cd rom is functioning, still no dell splash screen.

Did you press/hold the power button for ~30 sec before reconnecting that battery?

Do any of the diagnostic keyboard status LEDs light up? Look up error codes in the manual.  

Are you using a docking station? Remove it from the dock or try connecting to it.

If you have the Latitude ON option, does that work? 

You didn't mention the version of Windows, but have you tried booting in Safe Mode?

Could this be an LCD screen or video card failure? Try connecting an external monitor to either the VGA or DP connector on the PC (or on the dock).

Try using the AC adapter if you're running on battery.

Did you leave an SD card in the slot or optical disk in the drive?

August 3rd, 2016 04:00

hi rohe, thanks for the reply,

(1) press hold power button - done - still nothing happen

(2) diagnostic Keyboard status - nothing light up, noly backlight keyboard are on

(3) Docking Station - none

(4) Version windows - windows 10, cant boot to os, No Dell splash screen at all

(5) LCD- i also reconnect to external monitor still nothing

(6) Using AC adapter only - Done - Still nothing Happening

(7) SD Car or other storage - already removing all storage and still nothing  

(8) crushing it with steamroller and frame it at public location - i will do i later 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2016 11:00

Dell hadn't tested this model for compatibility with Win 10. And -unfortunately- the combination of that BIOS update and Win 10 seems to have caused problems.

(8) crushing it with steamroller and frame it at public location - i will do i later 

Seems a bit drastic for an otherwise, nice laptop. :emotion-3:

Robert gave you some suggestions where to find a replacement motherboard and you can add Impact to his list.

Best of luck..!

No Events found!