Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2017 20:00

Dell Latitude E6420 Internal Speaker not working in OS

Hello Dell community!

Yesterday I did a motherboard swap in my E6420 from the Intel HD board to the Nvidia board.

Everything seems to be working fine, except the internal speakers won't work in the OS.

I booted into the built in diagnostics, tested the audio, and it played the tones of audio through the speakers.

I have a suspicion that because I did the Motherboard swap, I can no longer use the old IO board due to it being a different size, the audio device may be on that as it has the headphone jack.

Also, I know it uses a different sound device, but the HDMI audio works just fine.

Any help would be appreciated!

23 Posts

December 1st, 2017 16:00

So I'm back after much time, and it indeed was the I/O board that was the problem.

It took me so long because when the board came in, it was for the E6530, so got in touch with him that Sunday, and it took until today to arrive!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 14th, 2017 05:00

he audio device may be on that as it has the headphone jack.

The audio chip should be on the motherboard. It could be that the signal is not able to be routed to the speakers if the jack is missing. If you want to try the correct I/O board, the parts-people have one.

I would try reinstalling the Intel chipset and IDT audio drivers.

23 Posts

September 14th, 2017 08:00

I'll have a new I/O board come in the mail, hopefully by Tuesday, mainly because I need that headphone jack too much. I'll keep you updated!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 14th, 2017 09:00

If you only need a headphone jack, a small usb audio jack could be an alternative. Those contain their own audio chip so independent of the IDT system and whatever issues that system has.

23 Posts

September 14th, 2017 10:00

It would be useful to have all of the other ports, like ethernet: I have a bunch of other desktops that don't have wifi capabilities and connecting them to my router isn't an option and yes, i know they make USB adapters for those too, but then I'm out of USB ports. Also VGA can be helpful in some situations.

And I don't like a big gaping hole in my laptop with no IO board there.

Not to mention those adapters would likely cost more than a new IO board

23 Posts

November 20th, 2017 09:00

Sorry for not posting on this tread for a while!

It took me until yesterday to finally getting around to buying that board!

In the meantime, I did some tests and observed that the PC Speaker in older os' worked.

I also used team viewer to connect, and sound was coming through teamviewer, so the audio chip is producing sound!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 05:00

it indeed was the I/O board that was the problem.

Good. I hope the information or suggestions  I provided were of some use.

No Events found!