Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2015 11:00

Dell Latitude E6500

We have a lab full of Dell Latitude E6500 laptops running Windows 7 32-bit. We've been a experiencing a seemingly random issue where the Shift key gets "stuck." What I mean is that the Shift key is physically pressed but the computer is acting as if it is by displaying typed letters as uppercase instead of lowercase. Also, when someone presses a number key, the symbol above the number shows up as being typed: I.E. if someone types a 5 the percent sign appears instead. A reboot usually makes a temporary fix but if anyone knows how to permanently fix this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

6 Posts

April 1st, 2015 12:00

Hema,

Thank you for the response. So far, it seems to have affected about 4 or 5 out of 26 laptops. It's seemingly random and, once the laptop has been rebooted, the problem goes away. Thus far, there doesn't appear to be any repeat issues... each time it happens, it is a different laptop.

That's a good idea to check with an external keyboard... I have not tried that yet. I will the next time it happens. There doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with the keyboards as I was able to press and release the Shift key just fine on the one with the issue today.

April 1st, 2015 12:00

Hello

How many machines are affected at the moment? 

Did you happen to test with an external keyboard.

How about in command prompt does it show the same symptoms?

It sounds more of a sticky key physical issue rather than software, but do try the above steps and keep me posted.

Regards

Hema

April 1st, 2015 20:00

Sure. 

Do keep me posted regarding the experiment with external keyboard. Meanwhile I will check with my resources for any possible software culprits.

Regards

April 3rd, 2015 21:00

Hello, 

Any progress yet?

I did check with few few internal resources especially with software team, who suspect that some application, (third party application or software) could be conflicting with the touchpad drivers, and because of that when you restart the machine the issue vanishes as the software services shut down and re adjust till they cause the symptoms.

Regards

6 Posts

April 13th, 2015 09:00

Hema,

I apologize for my late reply. So far, we haven't had any others with that issue. I will reply to this forum if we do come across it again. Thank you.

No Events found!