Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2016 10:00

Dell Latitude E6510 WOL - Wake On Lan

I have scoured the internet looking for more solutions to my problem to no avail.  I can not get these Latitudes to "wake up" using magic packets.

The total run down of the details are as follows.  I am using Windows Server 2008 R2 to send the magic packets using a WOL utility from Aquila Technology (freeware).  The server is running on a VMware ESX Hypervisor.

I have one laptop that I use for testing, it is on the same VLAN, different switch as the server (besides the VSWITCH).  The BIOS revision on this laptop is A10 (A16 being the newest).  When I send packets, the TEST CLIENT powers on and works correctly, no issues.

I started to test it on other clients, which at first were on a different VLAN.  I configured my CISCO router to enable IP directed broadcast.  I could not get the machines to wake. 

I fired up Wireshark, and started sending wake up packets.  For the client that is on the same VLAN as the server, I get a proper source ip (10.40.0.63/24) and a proper broadcast (10.40.0.255).  That machine wakes up.  When sending to my other VLAN I see wireshark with a source ip of 10.40.0.63 and a destination ip of 10.20.0.255, which again is correct.  So, I am seeing the broadcast packets travel across the network properly, they are being received by the machines, but they won't power on.

I then moved one of the non-functioning laptops over to the server VLAN and began sending WOL packets, again, wireshark shows the packets traversing the network properly, but the machine still will not power on.

I have seen several posts about turning off "Deep Sleep", and that isn't even an option on these machines.  I have also turned of the Intel Speed Step technology.  My NIC lights are lit, so I know the NIC is active, but I still can not seem to get it to boot.  The non-waking machines all have the newest BIOS (A16), so I flashed one back to A10, still no luck.  The only thing that I can see different between the two clients are BIOS revision (which didn't work), Boot Sequence, and Setup Password.

If anyone has any clue as to what I should look at, I would love some new ideas.

No Responses!
No Events found!