Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 30th, 2013 09:00

Dell M4800 Touchpad keeps turning itself back on

Having a strange issue with the Touchpad on my Dell Precision M4800. When I disable it using the Dell software or using the Fn+F5 hotkey, it has a tendency to come back on after a random interval of time. I want it to stay turned off permanently, as I prefer to use the Pointstick exclusively.

When using the Fn hotkey, I get a notification onscreen as well as a popup in the system tray saying "Touchpad notification: Your touchpad has been disabled." If I manually disable it through the Dell Pointing Devices software, I get the same effect, but without the notification. In either case, this works great... for awhile.

But then the Touchpad inevitably turns back on. I often don't notice until suddenly my mouse cursor is behaving erratically, at which point I try to swipe my finger on the touchpad and sure enough, it's become enabled again.

However after some further experimenting it turns out the "random" aspect of this is not totally random and I can reproduce the issue quite reliably by furiously scanning my finger back and forth across the Touchpad for a few seconds. Inevitably, the touchpad will turn back on, and I will get the notification "Your touchpad has been enabled." No buttons or hotkeys are pressed, all I have to do is move my finger on the touchpad surface rapidly and within seconds of starting to do that, it will re-enable itself. Again, there is also a notification that it has been re-enabled when this happens, so the software is detecting my finger movements somehow, perhaps I am accidentally performing some "magic gesture" that compels it to re-enable the touchpad.

If I don't intentionally try to cause this, it still turns on eventually, but can take a long time, half an hour or more before it becomes enabled again. I assume it's the activity of my palms resting on it that will accidentally turn it on again in the same way as swiping my finger intentionally across the disabled touchpad. It makes no difference whether the Dell Pointing Device software is open or closed and this will happen when any application is open.

All I want is for the touchpad to be truly disabled permanently and not accidentally turn on in the middle of my work. But at the same time I'd prefer to leave the pointing stick enabled, so I can't simply remove the driver. So far I've been using an external mouse and disabling all internal pointing devices, which works ok, but like I said I am fond of the pointing stick, I'd prefer to be able to leave it on with JUST the touchpad disabled.

System specs: Dell Precision M4800 with qHD screen

CPU: Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70Ghz

Graphics: nVidia Quadro K2100M

Dell Pointing Devices software version v.8.1200.101.134

7 Posts

March 7th, 2017 21:00

I don't believe this function was available in the original drivers I was using when I first posted this question, but I am glad they eventually did add a toggle for this feature, it was very annoying. I'm still not 100% sure this solves the problem permanently, but it seems to be working for now and it sounds promising enough that I'm going to mark this as the verified answer. Thanks Driver Dude!

March 9th, 2017 11:00

@cecilkorik

Sorry I didn't see this post three years earlier. You are right. The function to disable this feature was not in the driver then. That's why I offered an alternative solution.

Either solution should work 100%. As you can see, it wasn't a bug. It was there by design.

The only way the problem could come back without your knowledge is if a newer driver version gets automatically installed from Windows Update. That will reset your settings to default, and this feature may get turned on again.

In Windows 7, you can control whether device drivers get updated automatically.

3 Posts

August 16th, 2017 11:00

I am having this issue also and went to my "Show hidden icons" and I do not have an icon for "touchpad properties". Any suggestions. I so want the touchpad to be turned off for good.

August 22nd, 2017 16:00

If you don't have the touchpad tray icon, you may not have the Alps driver installed.

If the Alps driver is installed, but the icon is turned off, then you can launch the Dell Touchpad applet either by opening the Mouse properties in the Control Panel and clicking on the touchpad image there, or by double-clicking directly on the executable file for that applet. It is usually found in the Program Files\DellTPad folder and is named DellTouchpad.exe. If DellTouchpad.exe is not there, then you have an older version of the driver. In that case, double-click on DellTPad.exe in the same folder. If you don't have that folder, then the Alps driver is either installed in a different location or not installed.

No Events found!