Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2009 11:00

Dell Mini 10... Ubuntu / Upgradeable Memory / Better Screen

I've got $1000 in my pocket and am ready to max out a mini 10. The only problem is that I want it to have Ubuntu, upgradeable memory, and better resolution. Does anyone have any idea how long I'm going to have to wait? It's getting to the point that if I can't order one in the next month I might go somewhere else. =(

1 Message

March 30th, 2009 17:00

Exactly the same here. I want to upgrade the RAM and I want to have the higher resolution. Wondering if I should just buy a different netbook since there doesn't seem to be any set dates for release.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2009 14:00

yea! i want to upgrade my mini 10's memory..when will we be able to?

May 14th, 2009 14:00

Well we know they're going to do it (check out below)...

Excerpt from http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-10?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

-quote-

• More storage – Do even more with optional 2GB** memory9 and optional 250GB1213 hard drive (**This feature is coming soon)
  • -unquote-

...note the "with optional 2GB** memory" statement. I just hope it is sooner than later. =)  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for May 20th. ;P

Take care,

Bryan

May 14th, 2009 15:00

I agree that it'll probably be 2GB soldered but at least it'll be 2GB. :emotion-1:
And we can still hope they'll make it upgradable...

*big nudges to Dell peeps*

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 14th, 2009 15:00

It may be the memory will eventually have a 2G option, but since it appears to be soldered to the system board (note in the service manual there's no location for the memory module), don't expect to upgrade 1G systems to 2G.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1010/en/sm/index.htm

Crucial says the 1G is non-removeable as well.

May 19th, 2009 18:00

Hmm... weird.  Maybe an indicator of things to soon come?  I spoke with a Sales agent via chat and he (or she?) said, "Unfortunately you can only get it with a max of 1GB, upgrade is not a possibility Bryan". So who knows...

2 Posts

May 20th, 2009 00:00

I've spoken to a number of sales agents on the online chat. I asked them when the new features would be released and I got a number of answers: "at the end of april", "in 1-2 weeks [from the 1st of may]", "on 19th May" and now "next month" ie June. So, who knows. I'm thinking i might just have to go somewhere else though. I'm a bit over waiting for the 'release date' and then finding that its not actually the release date, and that I have to wait longer....

June 19th, 2009 14:00

The mini 10 has one small detail DELL hasn't told you yet. No, its not imbedded (on board) ram. The removable memory is underneath the keyboard/palmrest. This is very odd how they built this netbook. The CPU/ GPU/ RAM are all on the same card, which is then put into a DDR2 memory slot. When and "if" dell releases something to increase the ram size, it will be quite expensive since you'll be replacing ram, cpu, and gpu all in one step.

So that maybe why they told you,"Unfortunately you can only get it with a max of 1GB, upgrade is not a possibility Bryan".

Weirdness :(  ... I think I'm going to go to best buy and get a mini 10.... then take it apart, takes pictures, and return it. ;p  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You'll pay a restock fee for that privilege.

June 19th, 2009 15:00

Wow ejn63.. I guess you read my reply a little too literally. Anyways, I would totally avoid that restocking fee even if I did do that. I went to Best Buy a couple days ago and they guaranteed me that the Dell Mini 10 (and no, not the 10v) had upgradable memory. They said it was “easy to upgrade [it]”. So yeah... I'd like to see them charge someone for that "privilege".

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 19th, 2009 16:00

Unfortunately, these days unless it's written down, you can't rely on it - in other words, while the agreement with the restock charge is binding, what a salesperson says is not - not unless it's written somewhere.

No Events found!