Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 24th, 2010 12:00

Dell Mini 10 and HP DVD burner

I have a Dell Mini 1010 with a tv tuner and recently purchased an hp dvd565s burner. I want to upload cds to itunes and watch dvds. I have a couple of questions:

1 - when I insert the nero9 essentials software for the dvd drive, it won't do anything. It doesnt automatically start up and when I open the dvd and click on setupx it sounds like it is trying to do something but nothing is happening.

My other question is related to an external monitor which I purchased. The salesperson at the store told me I could hook my laptop to the monitor to watch dvds or browse, but I am not sure I have the correct cables. I found something when I was searching about a VGA cable (not exactly sure what that looks like - if it is the data cable for a monitor, do they have one that has usb on the other end or something else that will go into my mini? Or is it not possible with this laptop to hook up to an external monitor?

THANKS SO MUCH!!! pulling my hair out!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 24th, 2010 14:00

I have a Dell Mini 1010 with a tv tuner and recently purchased an hp dvd565s burner. I want to upload cds to itunes and watch dvds. I have a couple of questions:

1 - when I insert the nero9 essentials software for the dvd drive, it won't do anything. It doesnt automatically start up and when I open the dvd and click on setupx it sounds like it is trying to do something but nothing is happening.

For uploading CDs to iTunes you use iTunes, read    http://www.ehow.com/how_4512974_upload-music-cd-itunes.html

Nero 9 essentials is for burning and copying CDs and DVDs. You need something like PowerDVD to watch DVDs or you can download VLC freeware.

My other question is related to an external monitor which I purchased. The salesperson at the store told me I could hook my laptop to the monitor to watch dvds or browse, but I am not sure I have the correct cables. I found something when I was searching about a VGA cable (not exactly sure what that looks like - if it is the data cable for a monitor, do they have one that has usb on the other end or something else that will go into my mini? Or is it not possible with this laptop to hook up to an external monitor?

If you have the 1010 http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-mini10/pd then it does NOT have a VGA port. The only video output port it has is a HDMI. Your new monitor had better have at least a DVI port so that you could use a HDMI to DVI cable.

2 Posts

October 24th, 2010 15:00

Thanks so much!!

No Events found!