Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

I

January 25th, 2008 18:00

Dell Mobile Broadband Utility Freezes???

Hi All,

Has anybody had this issue………

I purchased an XPS M1530 with the “Internal Verizon Dell Wireless 5720 EVDO Mini Card” …  the problem I’m having is this:

When I logon I am able to click onto any of the icons (either the shortcut on my desktop, clicking in the start menu or the icon in the task bar) to open the “Dell Mobile Broadband Utility” software then I click onto the Connect button and I can connect onto the Verizon network ..  no problem!!!   The issue is after I disconnect and close the “Dell Mobile Broadband Utility” .  if I want to reconnect I am not able to do so….  Every icon I click onto doesn’t open the “Dell Mobile Broadband Utility”.  If I click onto the shortcut on my desktop or in the start menu the software opens and I get that (I don’t know the correct name) title image…  with a status bar but it never opens the “Dell Mobile Broadband Utility”. If I click onto the icon in the task bar  ..  nothing happens..  I get a real quick hourglass but nothing else  The only way I am able to reconnect is…  first I have to logoff ..  then log back on and I can click anything and connect…  all good!  But again if I disconnect and try to reconnect I can’t do it and have to log off and on again!

I hope I explained this so it’s clear!

Can anyone help…  I’m really bummed out!!!  I do have a case opened with Dell Support, they had me re-install a few things but it didn’t help!  I was figuring I could give this area a try!   Oh yea..  I have Windows Vista!

1 Message

January 27th, 2008 02:00

I have the same problem with the Dell provided Mobile Broadband Connection Utility and have found that, until this issue is resolved with an update to the utility, we have 2 options (3 if you consider a "restart" an option)...

- Use the Verizon utility (not my preferred option but it doesn't exhibit the same behavior)

- Continue using the Dell supplied utility and subsequent to disconnecting, use Windows Task Manager to "Kill" the process named dmbcu.exe. This is the process that fails to terminate when the utility is closed. This will allow you to reconnect without restarting Windows.

It's not "pretty" but it's a workaround and it will save you the restart. Hopefully they'll issue an update for this "under-developed feature" (aka BUG) in the near future and save us the trouble of an unecessary "process kill".

Cheers.

Message Edited by ThisOldGeek on 01-26-2008 10:07 PM

January 30th, 2008 11:00

I’m all good now… 

After a lengthy tech support conversation with Troy..  The tech guy found out it was the finger print reader software interfering with the Dell broadband connection utility!  He found this out by disabling and enabling combinations of startup programs and narrowed it down to the finger print reader that way.   I then had to un-install it and re-install it and I’m Ok to go…  I’m ok to go..  I’m ok to go!!!! (Whew...  I think I was just channeling Jodie foster!!!!)

16 Posts

February 7th, 2008 10:00

ImmaStumped - could you elaborate on the solution you found with the help of Tech support? What was interfering with what? Was the fingerprint reader stepping on the COM Ports used by the Mobile Broadband modem? Is there a recommended installataion sequence for this hardware/software?

I have been having an ongoing intermittent problem with my Mobile Broadband Card and the Dell Utility, with many freezes, lockups, device disconnects. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

February 7th, 2008 22:00

Hey SteveMoss……..

I’ll start by saying…… The issue I had was when I would disconnect from Verizon and then reconnect!! I could click on the shortcut on my desk top, the shortcut in my start menu or the shortcut on my task bar with no problem! The issue was, if I disconnected and then attempted to reconnect… nothing would work! I would have to log off and log back on and all would be fine again… until of course I disconnected and wanted to reconnect…. Then it would be the same problem!

How the cause was found…. I don’t know all the technical terms and don’t remember all the different screens I went through or watched the tech support guy switch through. The tech support guy realized that the Dell Mobile Broadband Utility program was not closing properly when I disconnected (The program name for the utility is dmbcu.exe under Processes in the Task manager).  He was able to determine this because when viewing the programs in the task manager it would still be visible even after you disconnected (it should have disappeared from the list). With that info, he went to figure out if it was another program preventing this utility from closing.

How is was resolved….. He opened up a window where all the start up programs are listed (there could have been about 20 or 30 things enabled there), and in order to identify which program was the culprit he had to be able to narrow it down. He uncheck all start up programs and then had me restart my laptop. When it started up and I logged on everything worked great!!!! I was able to connect using the utility.. disconnect and reconnect with no issues (using any shortcut I wanted)!!! So now the tech support guy had to find the problem software. He checked half the programs….. I had to restart… do my connect, disconnect and reconnect to see if everything was working fine! It wasn’t.. so he uncheck those programs and check off the other programs. I did my connect, disconnect and reconnect.. all was great!!! So now we knew these programs weren’t causing a problem (he left them enabled because they weren’t the problems). So he went to the first group of programs…. Check off half of those and I did my connect, disconnect and disconnect.. it didn’t work.. He had to uncheck those and check the other programs from this group and I did my connect and disconnect… the utility worked fine (all shortcuts). So you get the point of what he was doing right? He got down to 2 programs that seemed to be a problem.. The Finger print reader thing.. and the Dell Support Center. For some odd reason it was the finger print reader that was preventing the Dell Mobile Broadband Utility from closing properly. That’s why I could never reconnect after I disconnect!! So… he uninstalled the fingerprint reader software…. checked my registry for any loose parts of that fingerprint reader software. He then went to the Dell support page and logged in with my service tag (the code with the letters in it) and then found the software for the fingerprint reader and installed it again! Well.. I was scared to do anything with that fingerprint software so I haven’t set up yet.. I will …. But not just yet! (LOL) I do once in a while get a message that states the Card has not properly shut down… I click ok and all is fine! I haven’t had any problems since.

Oh Yea….. this took like 5 hours!!!!!!!! LOL.. Whew!!!!!!!

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2008 20:00

Yea, until they get a fix I am also just killing the dmbcu.exe process in Task Mgr.

I have the finger print reader on my 1530 as well but don't use it as yet. We'll see.

Dizzy

No Events found!