Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2014 07:00

Dell N5010 display turns off automatically.

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010. Its graphics card failed a while ago and I had it reflown. Now, much of the problem seems to have gone. However, while I am working, the display goes off automatically, there is no error message or log. I have found out that it returns as if nothing had happened when I apply firm pressure on the area of keys S,W,E on the keyboard registering a couple degrees drop on processor and GPU temperatures in speedfan. The problem most likely is not overheating unless my sensors are malfunctioning. It is sometimes very frequent and sometimes I need to shut it down by pressing power button.

Also, when It has been shut down or put to sleep, it doesn't start again. When I try Fn+power button, it gives 7 beeps warning. It takes a lot of tries and pressure on the said area to get my machine working. 

Does this mean something is loose inside and could be fixed with capable hands?

I opened it up a few days ago and could not find anything wrong. I cleaned the fans and assembled it back on. The thermal paste is fine but I noticed that the part where the heat sink branches and has screw no. 4 had a spongy thing, maybe a foam draped in thermal paste below it. 

Is that thing a part of the design to connect a chip to sink or did someone replace something better or absent with this sponge for improvisation? 

Any help or suggestion will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

No Responses!
No Events found!