Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2010 13:00

Dell N5010 overheating?

Hello everyone!

I've bought an Inspiron 15R (N5010) back in November of 2010 from Holland (Quad core i7-740QM, Radeon 5650, Seagate 750gb 7200RPM, 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz). Now, two months later, I seem to be having some serious issues with it. It shuts down whilst playing video games (for now) and I suspect something is overheating: the CPU gets past 90-95 Celsius - monitored with SpeedFan!

Also... the heating vent and the palm rest (left side) get really really hot! Right from the start, I was thinking that the cooling possibilities are a bit overwhelmed by the specs, but hey, I didn't think it would become such of a problem! What's really strange is that it didn't act like this from the beginning... I thought it might be the accumulated dust, so I used a vacuum cleaner on the vents and air intakes at the bottom. The temps seem to have dropped a bit, but when I tried playing again, it nonetheless shut down again after a while (took a bit longer after the cleaning).

What happens exactly is that the screen goes totally black and after about 2 seconds, the system shuts down completely! Another weird thing is that, upon restart, Windows 7 doesn't report any error (no disc checks or anything) and the event viewer doesn't show anything relevant... I already tried the PC Checkup function in Dell's Support Center (3.0) and it passed every test. I ordered a cooling pad online to see if that fixes the problem but i'm already very disappointed, after having a similar problem with an Acer model!

Any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

June 25th, 2011 05:00

I have the same problem on a Dell Inspiron R15 N5010 I5 Radeon 5650 4GB DD3 . Had the first shutdown 2-3 months after purchasing . Cleaned the cooling fans externally , but nothing fixes the issue . Idle temperature 55-65 C . Playing temperature close to 95 , and above obviously because it shuts down at 105 C . Is there a manufacturing problem with the cooling fans ? Any suggestions for fixing the problem permanently ? I will buy a cooling pad but please PM me if that doesn't work at all .

June 25th, 2011 13:00

Thank you for the reply and the good advice . Honeslty I'd rather invest in this laptop then sell it on . Compressed air can + Colling pad , really hope they do the trick . Cheers !

2 Posts

June 25th, 2011 13:00

Hey Alex,

Meanwhile, I've bought a cooling pad and the problems are all but gone. Temps in most demanding games never pass 90 degrees, so it's safe! I also strongly recommend to buy a compressed air can to clean the air intake and vents and trust me it works magic with dust. It's the best way keep your laptop in good shape. I don't think there's any manufacturing problem, it's just a known fact for Dell and other companies too: you can't efficiently cool a quad core within a 15" chasis. Nonetheless, I'll sell this laptop and get another one :).

August 20th, 2011 10:00

Try updating your BIOS i too did it.

July 1st, 2015 17:00

GOOD NEWS!

I have had this exact problem on my dell inspiron n5010.

at first i diddnt know how to fix it, because i could clearly hear the fan running, but whenever i did an intensive task such as playing star trek online, or star wars empire at war (requires alot of graphics and processor power to play) my laptop would heat up to the point where the keyboard burnt my fingers. after about 5 minutes it would automatically switch off with no warning.

after taking apart the laptop i can happily confirm that its due to dust. there is a tiny vent right next to the fan, this is  a HUGE magnet for dust. after clearing away the dust my laptop now works 100% of the time, and better still, it doesnt feel hot anymore, ***, it hardly feels warm, its a 1 cold son of a gun!

so to clarify, ANYONE experiancing overheating on this model, in the way i described, its dust that is completely blocking the vent hole, it only takes 1/4 of a pea size of dust to do so.

if you are a bit shakey about taking apart your laptop, either watch a youtube video on how to do so (i highly recommend this option)

or take it to a professional. but expect to pay £50 or $80 - $100

as for my laptop, it now has no overheating issues, not bad for a core i5 that someone just threw away, luckily my best friends a dustbinman and found it!! im one lucky &%£$&$&

thanks for your time on reading this, and i hope, but know this will help :)

its dust!!

2 Posts

April 21st, 2017 22:00

The following solution worked perfectly for me:

"***" using a household vacuum cleaner hose covering the entire vent for the fan at the bottom of the laptop near the side heat vent.  Rotate between *** and stop a few times, you may see a glob of dust pulled underneath the vent, use a needle to pull it out a bit, and *** again until the entire glob is out.

Laptop is now back to normal temperature!

Now, I'll put it on my calendar to do it every 6 months or so!!

No Events found!