Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2017 12:00

Dell Outlet Refurbished vs New

I placed an order on dell outlet for a "new" xps 13 2-in-1 laptop.

It was listed as new so I was assuming it is new.

However, when I received my item it was not packed like what I would expect for new laptop. Therefore, I sent an email to CSR to tell me the condition of my laptop. I was told it was certified refurbished.

Can anyone tell me if this is right? There is price difference between a new and a refurbished one. And why would Dell outlet present it as a new one while it is actually not?

4 Posts

July 28th, 2017 13:00

Thanks!

There is no refurbished sticker so far as I know.

I did chat with CSR earlier and asked him about the differences between refurbished and new.

I was told new is new while refurbished is used.

His record showed that this item is a refurbished one even though what I order is "new".

Is there a regulation by the FTC for the wording on the product though?

This really gets me very confused.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 28th, 2017 13:00

Is there a "refurbished" sticker on the bottom of the system?  If not, it is new - it may have been repackaged but was never used.

Everything sold through the outlet is "refurbished" as defined by the FTC (same goes for replacement parts used for warranty repairs).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 29th, 2017 08:00

Anytime an item is removed from the factory packaging, it can no longer be sold as new -- whatever the reason.  It may be the system was never turned on -- and is truly new.

4 Posts

July 29th, 2017 21:00

so how can this be listed as new though??

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2017 04:00

See above  -- it's akin to buying a car that was never titled to an end-buyer.  It can still be considered "new" in the sense that no one else has ever owned it.

9 Posts

August 1st, 2017 11:00

New or 'As New' are those either have not been opened or opened box but not used(typically full packaging still intact). I received quite a few New units with just all sort of stickers(like it has been going around retailers quite a bit) but box unopened. Similarly 'As New', however usually box has been opened otherwise looks as new including packaging.  They are considered refurbished as it is from the Outlet.

No Events found!