Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2017 07:00

Dell Precision 5520 & TB16, problems with USB and audio out via headset

Hi,

I have mentioned new combintation Precision 5520 with TB16 dock. And I suffred odd problem USB and audio problem after first attachment ever of TB16 dock. USB ports and audio out in Laptop side stopped working, yes those are working from dock.

I got audio working after installing drivers again for it, but USB are staying silent after re-installation of all available drivers from Dell support pages (or via command update).

I can see from device manager that laptop has one problematic (not working) USB controller, but it looks that I'm not able to find driver for it to get it working.

So some help is appriciated here.

5 Posts

August 21st, 2017 07:00

I finally managed to solve this problem with USB.

The solution is update latest Intel wireless Bluetooth drivers  (I was getting v. 19.71.0) via intel update utility. After installation all the USB ports started to work and BT device was up running as well.

5 Posts

July 12th, 2017 03:00

it looks that problematic device is Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller with following hardware ID's

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&SUBSYS_07BF1028&REV_31

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&SUBSYS_07BF1028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&CC_0C0330

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&CC_0C03

And by using those ID'S in driveridentifier.com I got this device is Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller

www.driveridentifier.com/.../PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A12F&SUBSYS_86941043

But I cannot find decent driver for that by using Dell Command update or using driver directly from Dell support pages. Intel generic driver either is not working with this device.

Any ideas how to go further?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 12th, 2017 08:00

Please click on the link below for additional information:

Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16 Driver Installation Guide | Dell US              

EDIT                                      

Manual installation of Dell Thunderbolt Docking Station (TB16) Drivers

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 12th, 2017 08:00

If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest you update the System Setup(BIOS). Please click on link below to safety install latest Bios version.

Update System Setup (BIOS) for a Dell Computer (Official ...

5 Posts

July 13th, 2017 03:00

I tried now suggested approach, but without impact USB ports are still not working on laptop.

1. BIOS was already latest one, so I skipped this.

2. Intel Thunderbird controller updated to laets version (it was already with same verrsion but I just overrieded it).

3. For precision 5520 there is not anymore possibility to install Intel Thunderbird 3 frimware update or it is offred with different name. So I skipped this one and this might be reason why USB ports are not working.

4. Intel HD graphics is updated (it was already with same verrsion but I just overrieded it).

5. ASMedia USB 3.0 Extended host controller is updated (it was already with same verrsion but I just overrieded it).

6. RealTek USB GBE Ethernet Controller is updated (it was already with same verrsion but I just overrieded it).

7. RealTek USB Audio driver is uupdated (it was already with same verrsion but I just overrieded it).

Does anyone knows what else shoud I tried to get these USB ports fixed?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 13th, 2017 08:00

Lastly,

If there are no USB / Motherboard error code, I suggest you reinstall windows 10 without losing any data or reset windows 10 and lose all data.

How to Reinstall Windows 10 Without Losing Data - YouTube

Windows 10 Tutorial - How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC to Factory Set…

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If the system has the latest windows updates, I suggest you Reset the BIOS to Default Values and see if that will make a difference. If that step doesn't work, run diagnostic on USB and the Motherboard in the link below:

Support for Precision 5520 | Diagnostics | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please check if latest windows updates are installed on the system. Type Settings onto the search box, Update & Security, and then select Check For Updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. Also check Update History for any failed updates. Keep in mind, Microsoft install important drivers / firmware in those windows updates.

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

July 13th, 2017 12:00

Here is a my device manager. Do you have the Intel(R) USB 3.0... line?

First four lines are for TB16 dock. Intel USB 3.0... driver comes with Windows 10.

No "unknown device" line in the device manager?

Sorry I am unable to add a picture to this forum.

5 Posts

July 19th, 2017 05:00

tahnks for the suggestions. So far nothing has not helped here. And I did not want to go (yet) with BIOS rest or re-installing windows, which I don't think is guarantee that this error is not happening anymore.

And it looking so that my device manager is actully missing Intel(R) USB 3.0 line, which leads to situationwhich I believe is that driver is missing for that. And so far I have not able to update drivers so that this line will appear to my device manager.

To those who have this Intel USB3 line visible could you get out driver names out from your system. I'm just thinking could I manually point my computer to use those drivers. I'm still believe that those files are existing in my laptop where these ports were working in the beginning, when I recieved my new laptop.

interesting symptom of this USB problem is that my BT & SD card reader are not appearing either there, but I found out that BT is hooked to the USB line, soif there is no USB available this device is not working either. And I believe samething is happenig for card reader as well.

I hope that Dell / Intel could provide separate USB driver for the chipset and not bundling another stuff with it.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2017 06:00

:emotion-2:

Glad to know the computer is fix now. Thanks for the update and sharing the solution for others to see.

No Events found!