Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2017 06:00

Dell Precision 7220 microphone

It seems that my new Dell Precision 7220 laptop computer does not come with a microphone.  I would think an internal microphone would be standard an most computers these days.  Is this not the case?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 7th, 2017 07:00

Hello. I couldn't find a 7220 in the support section. Sometimes Dell sells new models before getting the documentation up on the site.

Could it be a Precision 7720? If so, there are dual mics, on either side of the camera at the top of the display bezel.

Those kind of mics are part of the camera unit.

June 8th, 2017 06:00

Thank you for your quick response.  You are correct it is the Precision 7720.  With that said, I do see the two super tiny small holes above the display.  I cannot however, figure out how to turn on the microphone in the windows settings.  Every time I attempt this, I am asked to be sure the device is plugged in, as if there is not an internal microphone.  Also, I am a little surprised that this laptop did not come with an internal camera as well.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 8th, 2017 15:00

Also, I am a little surprised that this laptop did not come with an internal camera as well.

You need to download the Precision 7720 Owner's Manual, but the server is down right now so I can't provide a link to it right now.

In the technical Specifications section, it says it has a camera. As far as I know, all Dell laptops have a camera these days.

In section 3 of the manual, Technology and Components, the is a chapter called "camera.features".  Here are screenshots of that chapter:

I cannot however, figure out how to turn on the microphone in the windows settings.

If you go to the Record tab of the Windows Sound control, and make Microphone the default device, the mic does not work?

No Events found!