Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 12th, 2016 16:00

Dell Precision 7510 - ASSORTED PROBLEMS

I paid a small fortune for the Precision 7510 and assorted peripherals, and considering how new the model and all it's constituent parts are, I did not expect a "flawless" product. I expected bugs from time to time, and updates to fix them. I made allowances for that.

HOWEVER: some things are not clear, I can't find any solutions for it... and my Dell warranty (despite me paying for the full package), doesn't really cover software faults like this. The "Dell Diagnostics" are incapable of producing results for any of the problems I've had, and windows troublshooting is useless too. 

Firstly: where precisely is the best place to report "bugs"? I'd expect a "bug report" section somewhere or other, to streamline feedback on the performance of any new laptop like the Precision 7510 or 7710. I can't find such a place, so I'm doing it here.

Secondly: the bugs I have been encountering:

1. I get 30mbps wireless internet on my laptop, but when I plug it into my docking station (E Port Advanced Plus)... this drops to 2mbps or less. I do not have a network cable plugged into the docking station. This is all wireless, yet when I insert the laptop into the dock... the speed drops.

2. I have not generally had other problems connecting to wireless networks at home or in public places. I've not tried connecting at work. But when I tried connecting at university... it will connect to the network after I successfuly log in... but will not load any pages. I spoke with the university IT department, and they did what they could to help, which wasn't much. The theory so far is that the Precision's 7510 network adapters or drivers "can't compute" WPA-2 enterprise security. I know very little about these sorts of things though.

3. The Nvidia Quadro M2000M driver appears to crash. What happens, is video playback slows by about 10 times, and there is no sound. Usually putting the laptop into "hybernate", and switching it back on, fixes the problem... which to me lends the impression that it is a faulty driver problem. This affects online videos, as well as ones played from the hard disk through windows media player, VLC, quicktime, etc. Also... putting the laptop into "hybernate" and restarting it that way... seems to fix the wireless problem I described in point 1.

4. The operating system/software has trouble recognising certain peripherals plugged into the docking station. Sometimes it really takes it's time to connect to my external monitor (via DisplayPort). Speakers plugged into the docking station, just don't work, and often plugging them directly into the laptop itself will "confuse" it when I dock it at the same time. I've not tested this much though. USB devices generally work fine so far... but I haven't tested these either much. I know my mouse and external DVD writer work fine. My printer and scanner haven't worked for months (different problem).

5. Occasional blue screen errors (two or three times). I took photos of these. The problem is not repetitive, and happens rarely... so I've somewhat ignored it. Everything described above though, is persistent.

6. Sometimes, external hard drives plugged in to the USB ports of the laptop, will be recognised, but won't show in "My Computer". I've found a way to fix that, by going into "Start", then right-clicking "Computer", then left clicking on "Manage", selecting "Disk Management"... and manually allocating a drive letter for the external hard drive. I have no idea if this is a problem specific to the Precision 7510, although I have never had this problem on any other computer.

7. On two occasions, removing the laptop from the dock at the same time as closing the lid, would "freeze" it somehow, with a black screen, and both fans working at full speed. I fixed the problem by taking the battery out, because the power button wouldn't respond. After re-inserting the battery, the laptop just started up from "hybernate" normally without any problems.

July 13th, 2016 01:00

What kind of Support contract did you specify when buying the laptop?

Is it just the basic support or ProSupport  or ProSupport Plus

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 21st, 2016 09:00

Pro Support Plus.

July 25th, 2016 10:00

Does anyone have this issue with the Dell 7510 running windows 10 Pro?

I have the latest BIOS installed

I have the latest Windows 10 Pro with all updates

I am most of the time unable to recover from sleep.  The computer starts, the screen is visible, but neither the keyboard nor mouse pad is responsive and the only want to login is to hold the power button and reboot.

1 Message

July 28th, 2016 21:00

I have similar wireless connectivity issues as mentioned by @Vangluck.  Trying to figure out how to stop it.  Previous dell work laptop did not do this.

1 Message

January 12th, 2017 03:00

Hello

we have the same troubles as yours points 3, 4 and 7 with a brand new M7510...

24 Posts

January 12th, 2017 08:00

Amazingly I haven't had any of these issues and I purchased a refurbished unit. The only major issue I had was actually related to a Windows 10 update that corrupted the EDID information for the LCD on the motherboard which bizarrely prevented me from booting into Windows but I could still boot into Ubuntu. Dell has been very helpful and because I purchased a warranty with the unit they replaced the motherboard with no qualms.

I've slowly been moving to running Ubuntu more because I'm tired of my machine being "off" when I've selected to hibernate and then when I plug it in overnight to charge it boots itself and starts applying Windows updates and closes all the applications I had running.

I've been really impressed with the battery life even with a 4K screen and 64GB RAM. The only major hiccup I've had is occasionally the left side USB ports stop working, and ONLY the left side. I think they are both attached to the thunderbolt controller and a power off reboot brings them back. Oddly I can still charge via the TB3 port, it is just the USB that doesn't work.

No Events found!