Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 27th, 2014 03:00

Dell Precision M6600 randomly freezing

System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service pack 1

Problem:

The laptop freezes several times a day, since we got the laptop two years ago. The freezes occur without dependance on how much hardware resources is the system using - it can freeze during video compilation or just when reading an internet article. The freeze is typically several minutes long, then the system often recovers and does all the events tasked to it during the freeze at once. When it doesnt recover in ten minutes, I turn the laptop off/on. Then all the files which were being written during the freeze have correct file size but are full of zeroes.

During the freeze itself, either it freezes when the light of HDD access is off - then sound doesnt work and mouse cursor is frozen too, or when the light of HDD access is on - and the light keeps shining during the whole freeze (not just blinking as usual), mouse cursor can be moved (but has Busy icon) and sound plays. It is possible to alt-tab into another window, but its not possible to use applications, run another application, or get to Start-menu. When you try to use the application you alt-tab into, it just goes non responsive until the freeze ends, then everything you inputed is performed at once.

What we tried:

Originally we thought Windows are to be blamed and waited for some Windows update to fix it. That didnt happen. Then we thought it may be old/wrong drivers so during the two years we updated/reinstalled drivers several times. We used drivers from the webpages of the hardware parts manufacturers mostly as we found out the dell page drivers are very outdated. We also tried running various tests on hardware, including the four listed on 'What Dell diagnostic tools can I use to fix hardware problems?' page.

Dell PC Diagnostics - we have the log, but the only place where it writes 'Cannot Run' instead of 'Passed' is USB Status Test.

Dell PC Health Check - requires payment for use :(

Dell PC Checkup - Dell Precision is not listed in Supported system platforms

Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA) - no problem found

From bits and pieces I found around in forums, I think there may be faulty motherboard causing the problem. Our other two high-end Dell computers both had faulty motherboards as well. Since the laptop is in warranty (on-site next working day warranty), we contacted Dell to get the laptop fixed. We were told we HAVE TO reinstall system to verify Windows is not causing the trouble before they will help us. Considering the amount of software and certificates and other things we have installed on the laptop, we want to try anything else possible before we have to do clean installation of Windows to avoid spending a week installing and setting up everything again. Is there anything we can do to resolve our issue?

October 14th, 2014 13:00

Thank you for your concern. The issue is resolved, however the exact cause is unknown to me. What you suggested seems very to the point as far as I can tell. It turned out it was hardware issue. The repair center shuffled the hardware components until they managed to fix the issue.

First, they replaced motherboard and GPU, which didn't fix the problem. Then they replaced RAM and the laptop started to go down with BSOD. So they put back the RAM, replaced motherboard again, and we were back to hard freezes. We tried to put in HDD with clean Windows installation as per repair center request, to no effect. So they replaced motherboard and GPU again - and the freezes stopped occuring. :emotion-40:

January 27th, 2014 04:00

Thank you for the suggestion. However, we have all updates installed. I turned off the automatical updates, enabled updates for Window and Other Microsoft Products (as all other boxes were already enabled), checked for updates, checked for updates again, restarted and checked for updates once more. There were no updates available. Then I turned on automatical updates again. Microsoft Security Essentials is not on the list of installed programs. We use ESET Smart Security 7.

615 Posts

January 27th, 2014 04:00

Hi Kletobservatory,

So, In the past couple days I've seen a couple similar questions regarding system lag / intermittent responsiveness etc etc. One of the cases  very fresh in my mind actually DID come from a Windows Update issue. By default, Windows 7 x64 is set to automatically receive important updates per "Use Recommended Settings" but not recommended or optional updates. Here's what I suggest

From the Control Panel at Windows Update. you will see Change Settings in the left hand column. TEMPORARILY turn this off. Windows will issue a warning ...this is okay for now.

Put an X in the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates." box.

Put  an X in all the other boxes

With Automatic updates TURNED OFF. Click "Check for updates in the left hand column. Download all of them (except maybe the Bing Bar which won't even show up until Windows update is almost current.)

Repeat this step following the restart instructions and coming back  to the "CHECK FOR UPDATES"  

Even when Windows Update says it's Up To Date...check once again just to make sure and then when you have no more updates Important Recommended and Optional. MAKE SURE TO RE-ENABLE AUTOMATIC UPDATES. 

--You will also be offered to receive updates for "Window and Other Microsoft Products" If you decide to opt in, do it after you're up to date from windows and pay close attention to those updates for other products. Only install Microsoft Security Essentials if you don't already have an antivirus utility. It's a great tool but there should never be 2 antivirus utilities running at the same time. Just a precautionary "heads up." Based on the details you've provided I'm confident these steps with alleviate your app hangs. GOOD LUCK and if this solution works properly for you please remember to click the Yes this was helpful button. If you need further assistance feel free to contact.

February 6th, 2014 13:00

In the meanwhile, we swapped out the SSD and SATA harddiscs for a new SATA harddisc on which we put clean installation of Windows 7 64-bit and did windows updates. The laptop is still freezing as described. Anyone else has any other idea? Also, where can we turn to when the Next Buisness Day On-Site warranty isnt being upheld by Dell? We keep calling them and emailing with them but we cannot seem to be able to get them to actually come and do something about our malfunctioning laptop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 Posts

October 13th, 2014 18:00

Did you ever resolve this issue? It's been a few months so I assume you did one way or another, but maybe this can help someone else.

Intermittent hard lag and freezing that doesn't actually crash the system is often GPU related. This can be due to software or hardware. There was recently an issue that could be caused on some NVidia GPUs by running two YouTube videos simultaneously - on my Vaio this would lead to the whole system freezing and glitching, with enough severity to make me think at first that my GPU hardware was dying on me. Poorly written GPU applications that fail to respect proper scheduling and resource sharing can wreak havoc on a system.

Anyway if you're using an NVidia graphics card, you can disable it temporarily using Optimus, which I would suggest trying first. This will revert the system to the Intel HD integrated graphics. Since the architecture is so different, it's unlikely a software issue would cause the same symptoms on the Intel GPU.

By the way, what are your M6600's fans doing when the freezes occur?

Anyway if the problem persists, the next thing I'd do is boot from a linux live cd. Knoppix is one of the best live cd distributions and useful to have around, since it was designed as a live cd from the beginning, unlike most of the other distributions out there. But Ubuntu would serve the purpose if you already have it lying around. You could try some web browsing, openoffice, some fractal generators, watch some videos etc and see if you experience the problem. This avoids making any changes to your system or having to install anything.

So having tried a live cd and disabling the GPU, if the problem persists it is likely a faulty motherboard. For anyone in this position without a warranty, if you're in the UK you have 6 years of consumer protection under the Sale of Goods Act, so you could look into this and approach Dell for a repair or replacement. If that laptop has not been dropped or mishandled, they have a legal obligation to fix the problem regardless of whether you purchased a warranty. This does not apply in the US.

If you have AMD graphics, FirePro M8900 / M6100 etc. then there's no way to disable it short of temporarily removing the card from the laptop. If you're in this situation and everything else fails, I can talk you through the procedure, and explain what precautions are necessary to do it safely.

In case you're wondering about memory, I doubt it's a RAM issue. RAM problems *should* be noticed by the CPU's memory controller, and I believe cause a "machine check" exception which would crash the machine outright and give you a blue screen. The fact that your machine doesn't actually crash makes me think you can rule out RAM issues, but if nothing else it might be worth carefully removing and reseating the RAM to check for sure. If you have 4 dimms installed, it's worth trying with only 2 especially if not all the ram is identical. Check first whether your warranty is affected by this procedure, and make sure you use proper antistatic precautions (I'll explain these if you're unsure).

If you can't get any joy with Dell, as a final resort I suggest going on ebay and finding a nice used HP Elitebook ;)

5 Posts

November 19th, 2014 11:00

Glad I read this post, my M6600  has been freezing on an off for the  2 weeks  then suddenly yesterday the Video went out and I ended up  with a Black screen.  First I thought it was a Microsoft issue but now I am NOT so sure. MSFT reported had  some bad software on AUTO UPDATES  Nov 11, 2014.  It messed up SSL/ certificates , SQL servers  and some other servers.   Since I deal with BANKS, the IRS, SSN and the State on a daily basis  thought it was a MSFT  issue. This now makes me want to also check the laptop as I connected it to an external monitor and it looks like a bad video card... my problem is video card on my M6600 is attached to the motherboard.  So both will have to be replaced...  Oh lordy..

Hope it is still under warranty.... Now may want to get warranty extended.. Motherboard alone on ebay is 275....

No Events found!