Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2014 08:00

Dell Precision M6800 is not compatible with Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (adaptive backlight, adaptive brightness, dynamic contrast, advanced contrast ratio issue)

Hello,
I have a problem with my laptop, below are all details. Please let me know about the causes of my problem
and how to eliminate them.

MY SETUP/ARRANGEMENT:
1) Dell Precision M6800 laptop (Intel HD 4600 graphics, Nvidia Quadro K3100M),
   switchable graphics (Nvidia Optimus technology) is disabled in BIOS;
2) Windows 8.1 Pro x64, all firmwares, BIOS and drivers are the latest versions, all latest windows updates
   are installed (I performed a clean OS installation, then installed all necessary drivers, then installed
   all Windows updates, no additional software were installed);
3) I always use "Maximum Performance" power plan with the following settings in its section "screen":
   -- turn off display (on battery: 10 min, plugged in: 15 min),
   -- display brightness (on battery: 85%, plugged in: 85%),
   -- dimmed display brightness (on battery: 85%, plugged in: 85%),
   -- enable adaptive brightness (on battery: switched off, plugged in: switched off);
4) There is uniform dark grey background on the Windows desktop (this background might be any other
   dark color, uniform or not, without any bright areas).

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
Display brightness changes in spite of the adjusted settings in active power plan. The problem exists
in two cases only: (i) I work on battery; (ii) transition from battery to mains or vice versa. In case "i"
display brightness increases when a bright object appears on the uniform dark grey background of my Windows
desktop (for instance if you run notepad.exe and its mainly white window appears over the desktop) and
display brightness decreases when the above bright object disappears from the uniform dark grey background
of my Windows desktop (for instance if you close or reduce to the taskbar the notepad.exe window). In case
"ii" display brightness decreases when you pull a power connector/plug off the laptop and increases when
the connector/plug is plugged into the laptop again.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS ABOUT THE PROBLEM:
This issue does not have a place if switchable graphics (Nvidia Optimus technology) is enabled in BIOS,
and the laptop screen is driven by, I assume, Intel HD 4600 graphics. As I utilize on my laptop
10-bit color depth workflow and correct color reproduction, it's much comfortable to work without
switchable graphics. I tried all latest video drivers, from both the laptop manufacturer web-site and
Nvidia web-site drivers including their latest beta-drivers, but the problem exists regardless of
the driver version installed. There isn't the problem under Windows 7 Pro x64.

1 Message

January 26th, 2015 03:00

right click on your desktop background > Graphic properties (intel HD)

now you will se intel HD graphics control panel, click on "Power", then turn off "display power saving technology"

this options makes your brightness adjustment not stable cause it always try to save battery life

if you did disable intel Graphic in Bios, turn it on. if you work with your nvidia quadro only, you can not turn off "saving power" feature

regard,

No Events found!