Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 10th, 2015 02:00

Dell Precision m6600 and Windows 10

Is there any confirmation from anyone that Windows 10 works properly on the Precision Mobile Workstation M6600?

There were no drivers for Windows 8.1 and I never managed to get it working properly with Windows 8.1. VMWare Workstation would crash, blue screens etc. Thats because there were no drivers released for this model from Dell for Windows 8.1.    But will it be the same story with Windows 10?    

September 4th, 2015 08:00

I can confirm Windows 10 DOES work on the M6600. I just upgraded my M6600 and Windows 10 actually improved some drivers and made my computer work way better.

From the time I bought my Logitech H800 headset I have been unable to pair it directly with the laptop via Bluetooth. The USB receiver was always required. As soon as I upgraded to Windows 10 my H800 was recognized and immediately connected!

There were two small issues that scared me at first. Neither WIFI or Bluetooth worked immediately after the Windows 10 upgrade. I am not sure why this happened but I simply went to the Network adapters and disabled then re-enabled each one. After being re-enabled the WIFI started working along with Bluetooth

2 Posts

October 10th, 2015 16:00

It works! I upgraded a refurbished M6600 I just got from newegg.com from WIn 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro and it works great but with one minor issue: The wireless adapter must be disabled then enabled each time after the computer boots up or wakes up from sleeping, else no wireless connectivity. My wireless card is the Dell 1501 half card. Dell.com's latest driver for the wireless card is the same version as what is already installed. FYI, NewEgg.com has a great price on refurbished m6600s - you get a sturdy, screaming machine for what you would pay for a mediocre new machine. FYI, the refurbished one looks to be loaded with the original system image, including very old BIOS (v7), so download the latest BIOS (v15) before upgrading to Win 10.

I haven't tried the fingerprint scanner with Win 10 as I'm not interested in using it.

November 18th, 2015 13:00

I did a clean install on mine, but that was easy since it was manufacturer refurbished.  Also, did you try this before OR after Windows 10 released a MAJOR software update like a week ago?

Everything going pretty smooth for me, but there may be hiccups after the install because Dell has NOT tested older models with Windows 10 (which really ***).

Be patient and it shall come. 

511 Posts

July 10th, 2015 14:00

No confirmation or official word yet, but if there are no drivers for 8 or 8.1 there more than likely won't be any for 10. 

1 Message

July 29th, 2015 23:00

Windows 10 works fine on my Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M6400 so I would be reasonably confident that it would also work on a 6600.

Best idea is to replace your existing HD with a new one and put your existing drive in a safe place, then use he ISO from Microsoft to load W10 on your PC.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2015 15:00

Firstly Dell has drivers available for Windows 8 for the Precision m6600, but not for Windows 8.1.

I tried Windows 10 on my m6600 and it was not very satisfactory and so I reverted back to Windows 7

The touch pad was intermittent, The brigness control would not work. Windows 10 installed a ATI radeon driver instead of my Firepro m6100.

Installing a ATI firepro driver made it recognise the video card but I could not open the Firepro control center software.

110 Posts

August 21st, 2015 20:00

I have had no problem with Windows 8.1 on my M6600 -except- getting screen brightness adjustable. Look at the verified answer here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19526400

The Windows 8 drivers worked without issue on 8.1. For video drivers, I downloaded them from amd.com. The Catalyst Control Center worked fine for me. Not sure if NVidia has comparable drivers or not.

Windows 10 also works fine on my M6400 (which I used as a test bed), but I'm not willing to risk it on my M6600 just yet.

September 28th, 2015 12:00

Works great on the manufacturer refurbished M6600 I just purchased which is functioning 1,000 times better than my 2012 Dell Inspiron (which was running W7 and then 10).

People may experience some minor hiccups, which Microshit tells me is due to Dell not updating the drivers on their older models, but MS will say almost anything.  For example, anytime I reboot my computer, the font size I customized on the computer reverts back to default size and I have to manually set that up again.  Since I put my computer in Sleep mode most nights and try to only reboot once each week, this is not a huge issue for me.

Happy to finally have a powerful notebook that I use as a desktop for my home-based proofreading business.

Hope others chime in on the forum regarding their experiences.  This Dell Model is a very nice product, more like a Cadillac compared to the plastic cheesy small Inspiron that I am now giving to a  computerless friend. 

2 Posts

October 14th, 2015 08:00

Use the Control Vault driver app for Window 8, but DONOT install the software.  There is a pick box when you run the installer .  Choose to only install the driver and middleware.  After that, Win10 was able to use the fingerprint reader.  Of course you have to store prints under your user setup in Win10.

This also took care of the smart card driver at the same time, although I don't use a smart card.

6 Posts

October 14th, 2015 11:00

I finally went ahead with the installation, and can confirm that Windows 10 works excellently well! Thanks everyone for posting their helpful tips and tricks!

November 17th, 2015 11:00

I tried to install Windows 10 on my m6400, but it got stuck in a boot loop. Had to reinstall 7.  Dell says that 10 is not supported for the m6400, so I was giving up. Do you have some specs I can compare to to see the there may be something able my laptop that prevents 10 from working?

November 18th, 2015 06:00

I'm no expert, but curious are you doing a "clean install" or the one that says "keep folders/files"?

2 Posts

November 18th, 2015 08:00

I did fresh installs on both M6600's we had.  I could not get the in-place upgrade to work.

110 Posts

November 18th, 2015 11:00

Windows 10 worked perfectly on my M6400 (however I've since installed Debian Linux on it.) The only thing that Windows 10 didn't recognize was the Broadcom USH, which I had to dig around to find drivers for. Unfortunately I don't have the link any more. Here are my specs:

Intel Q9100, ATI FirePro M7740 (Win10/MS Provided driver, download from AMD did NOT work), 8GB DDR3-1066, Broadcom 4312 Wifi (aka Dell 1397), 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD, Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5761e Gigabit Ethernet, Ricoh SD/Firewire controller.

November 18th, 2015 13:00

I tried to keep the files and folders. Not a clean install,the automated one. Because it got caught in a boot loop, I ended up losing all of my files anyway (was able to restore from the disk) but went back to 7. Is the thinking that a clean install works?

No Events found!