Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2014 03:00

Dell Service Tag (not supported) Product key / Software needed.

Hi. I have a Studio XPS 1645 laptop that I purchased a couple of years ago (warranty expired).

I have lost the recovery discs I made when I first used the laptop and require a re-format. I am trying to find out where I can re-download the software and product keys that came with the laptop.

I have the Windows key and a software disc I can use, mainly I am trying to get hold of my Cyberlink DVD DX key so I can re-install it after I have re-formatted.

I have tried the download section with my service tag and simply get (service tag not supported) how do I retrieve my product keys?

~Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Contact the original owner so  you can have the service tag transferred into your name - then you can set up an account with the My Dell Downloads site and obtain the software/key you need.

It was Manufacture refurbished by Dell, and sold by a 3rd party.

2 Posts

if it's not? i have a inspiron 15 / 3520 that was made in china and sold in russia/ The warranty just expired and i had recieved a new hardware that was under warranty, but no disc's or keys? how do i get a key? 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

You'll need to contact Dell to find out why your service tag isn't working -- was the system purchased new from Dell, or from a third party -- or used?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The Windows key is on a label inside the battery compartment.

To order recovery discs,

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/476.2-0-requesting-a-microsoft-windows-reinstallation-cddvd-from-dell.aspx

Thanks for the reply but I have the windows key. It is the key for cyberlink's blu-ray playing software that I need. Otherwise I will have to purchase another copy for £50.

No Events found!