Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2016 07:00

Dell Studio 1458 Laptop Beep Codes

Could somebody tell me where I can find the power on "beep codes" for the Dell Studio 1458 laptop?  Alternatively, could somebody tell me what 2 beeps mean on power-on?

Thanks very much.

• 

17K Posts

August 4th, 2016 08:00

AlexAndrews,

A 2 Beep code would be a Memory error.

Beep Codes
Studio™ 1457/1458 might emit a series of beeps during start-up if the monitor cannot display errors or problems. The following repetitive beep codes help you troubleshoot problems with your computer.

Beep Description Failure Coverage
One beep BIOS ROM checksum failure. Possible motherboard failure.
Two beeps No RAM Detected. Remove the memory modules, reinstall one module and restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module. Continue until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without an error.
If available, install Know good memory of similar configuration and test the memory slots.

Three beeps Possible motherboard failure. Chipset error
Four beeps RAM read/write failure. Verify that the memory modules that you are installing are compatible with your computer.
Reseat Memory.

Five beeps Real Time Clock failure. Replace the battery.
Six beeps Video card or chip failure.
Seven beeps Processor failure. 
Eight beeps Display failure.

You can click the link below to download the online manuals for the system. The manual provides troubleshooting information as well as information for removing and replacing parts.

Dell Studio 1458 Drivers Downloads and Manuals

12 Posts

August 4th, 2016 08:00

Great, thanks very much.

No Events found!