Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2013 02:00

Dell Studio 1458 laptop can't find wireless network

Issue

My laptop was working fine this morning. I took a nap and when I went to use the computer again, it can't find the wireless network. The network icon in the system tray is all gray bars with a red X through them. When I hover over it, the pop up says, "Wireless Network Connection Radio Disabled." Only two things could have changed: my daughter might have used the computer (using a non-administrator account) and Comcast cable might have gone out.

I'm using

Studio 1458

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Version 6.1.7601

Dell (Broadcom) Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card

Netgear wireless router, Windows Firewall, Avast free anti-virus (have been using all three for years)

This is what I've tried:

Verified that cable TV and phone are still working.

Reset modem and then router then restarted laptop. (This is what I do any time the cable goes out and it usually works.)

Verified that iPad and iPhone can see network and use it.

Plugged laptop in through router and can see and use network.

Therefore it has to do with the wireless.

In Network and Sharing Center, clicked set up a new connection or network and selected connect to the Internet > wireless. No connections available.

Checked system restore to see if there's a restore point recently that would indicate my kid installed something. (Child of course denies using computer. Sigh.) Last restore point was Windows update five days ago.

Restarted in safe mode, was unable to see wireless network.

Verified that Device Manager sees wireless adaptor and says it is working.

Deleted and reinstalled driver in safe mode.

Deleted and reinstalled driver from latest downloaded version. This also deleted all existing network connections listed under manage wireless networks.

Turned off wireless phones.

Diabled LAN adaptor and retried all of the above.

Tried FN F2 which pulls up an image of two radio towers. The one on the right, that looks like it's a tower without a signal, is highlighted and has a circle with a slash through it over top of it.

Ran through troubleshooter numerous times.

Restarted computer numerous times during this testing.

Went into Windows Mobility Center to turn wireless on but button is grayed out.

In Windows Mobility Center clicked on "launch" under radio control options and selected All the Radios (WiFi was the only one not grayed out).

In Windows Mobility Center, found that the above was still an option so it appears WMC doesn't see that they're turned on.

Updated the firmware on wireless router.

Update driver for Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor

Manually added wireless network through Network and Sharing Center.

Verified my antivirus software is working and is up to date.

Changed security options on router so there was no security. (Of course changed it back.)

I could not figure out how to update the firmware on the wireless adaptor card if there is any.

I still have a gray wireless network connection icon in the system tray with a red X through it. The pop up still says wireless network connection radio disabled. I am unable to connect to the Interenet through the wireless, even in safe mode. This is my work computer (I own my own business) and in order to use the wired connection I have to sit on the floor in a corner. It's very inconvenient, not to mention uncomfortable. (My child does not usually have access to my computer but our home computer is down and I let her use it a few days ago and forgot to turn off the guest account.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

3 Posts

February 28th, 2013 07:00

I went into the BIOS and turned the wireless off and back on again.

It happened a second time, though, and it still wasn't working. So I did a system restore to an earlier date.

I hope that helps. If you need specifics about how to do these things, there are probably loads of instructions on the web but if you can't find what you're looking for I can tell you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 8th, 2013 02:00

maybedog,

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Did you try restarting your computer?

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER and post the information back here.

Rick

3 Posts

January 11th, 2013 08:00

Thank you. I didn't think of the BIOS. Everything was fine there but I went in and changed an alert setting and suddenly everything worked fine. I've a terrible feeling my card is going. But thank you!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 26th, 2013 02:00

k814348,

I have not heard back from the member. So if you want help...

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Did you try restarting your computer?

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER and post the information back here.

Rick

6 Posts

February 26th, 2013 02:00

can you explain what you done? i have the same problem. dell 1458 wireless is not working. 

No Events found!