Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2011 14:00

Dell Studio 14z Fan Replacement

Dell Studio 14z fan has recently ceased operating. Requests have been made to Dell for a replacement fan and/or heat-sink assembly. Dell has replied that they do not have either than single fan or the heat-sink assembly as a whole. Dell further informed that had the laptop been covered by the extended warranty then "alternatives" could be looked into. When asked what Dell would do since they did not have the necessary replacement, they repeated that "alternatives would be considered."

Assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

3 Posts

June 8th, 2011 15:00

Reply appreciated. Seller's item is heat-sink only; fan component required. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 8th, 2011 15:00

June 12th, 2011 14:00

My fan appears to be dying, and I was looking at  part w161N at www.notebookparts.com  .  I have not ordered yet, but this looks like the right part for $60 +$10 S/H.   Curious to know if you think its the right one.

3 Posts

June 13th, 2011 07:00

@laptop user

The W161N should be the right part. It looks like you can only get the fan + heat-sink as a single assembly, so that would be the part to order.

June 19th, 2011 08:00

They were out, and are currently "looking" for it.  We'll see if they actually find it...

297 Posts

June 19th, 2011 10:00

Bit hard to swallow if the laptop is scrap for the want of a fan. And  if that fan is unique to that model. I assume you have looked at the model numbers on the fan and googled them.

You could try cleaning any dust off with an artists paintbrush, give it a blast with an air duster. Then carefully peeling pack the label in the middle of the fan. Hopefully the end of the spindle will be visible, put a single drop of silicone oil on it. Whilst holding it level see if there is any up/down free play to try to work it down the spindle. Spin the fan back and forth by hand etc. Don't let the oil get on any exposed electronics. Use silicone oil, not WD40 or similar as WD40 will evaporate immediately with the heat from the heat-sink.

Work it in as best you can or even leave it overnight.

Might get it going again temporarily whilst you locate a new fan.

No Events found!