Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

January 1st, 2009 14:00

Dell Studio 1537 - background annoying 'clicking' noise/sound

Just bought a new Studio 1537 laptop and there is a really irritating 'clicking' noise in the background all the time at random intervals. When I mute the speakers/sound, the noise stops but as soon as I unmute the speakers/sound it comes back.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

35 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 06:00

Are you playing something thru the speakers when you hear this noise, On my 1735 I have crackling and popping. Tech. Support  mention it could be the integrated sound card, speakers or short. I knew the speakers were no good as I ran them thru a different media sound card and it still had the same issues. To me it sounded like a short or bad connection causing the clicking, crackling and popping.

I did an exchange but still have some of the crackling depending on what is playing. You may want to contact tech support to be sure it is not a short in the speakers/mobo so you can have it replaced or repaired of possible exchanged if not fixable. Did you try to play thru external set of speakers to see if you still hear it, if not try that and if you still hear it come from the laptop good indication of a bad connection or short. If it plays thru to the external speakers it could be the sound card on the mobo or still a bad connection.

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 15:00

Hi,

Turns out it was my fingerprint scanner clicking at me because i had its volume turned up to the max - apparently it clicks when it reckons that it cant read the finger put on it but i wasnt even trying to scan anything at the time! must have been picking up movement of my arm or something! i have muted the sound from the scanner and the problem has gone completely away!

thanks for your suggestion though!

hope you manage to sort your problem out!

35 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 05:00

Glad to hear the good news...I never heard that on mine unless I was still swiping my finger after it was already accepted. I get the tone when I swipe to many times. Oh well my problem is almost resolved..bye bye Dell if all goes ok. Best of luck hope you don't have the same probs alot of us are or were having with the Studio line.

1 Message

January 4th, 2009 14:00

Hi, I have the same problem with this clicking noise.  How did you mute the sound from the fingerprint scanner?

3 Posts

January 4th, 2009 19:00

Hi,

Go into your volume mixer in the bottom right of your toolbar - click on the speaker symbol next to the time and then click mixer. In there you should see your overall volume, program/Windows volume, and the finger print scanner volume. Just drag the bar to the bottom to mute it. Job done!

Good Luck!

1 Message

February 17th, 2009 21:00

Hi,

I just bought a studio 1537 and am having the same issue.  I figured out that it was coming from the fingerprint reader icon and muted the sound using the software setting (enable sound feedback).  I still see the icon flashing red in the system tray when it thinks a finger is being scanned.  Sometimes the frequency of the phantom finger scan is around once per second.  When it is this often, it actually interferes with me trying to scan my finger for website logins.  I am also concerned that the software is using system resources when trying to process these numerous finger scans.  I tried installing the driver update mentioned here:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19253248.aspx

This driver update does not improve the phantom finger scan for me.  Are there any other suggestions for resolving this issue?

-Michael

190 Posts

September 26th, 2009 08:00

I don't have a finger print scanner but facial recognition on a studioi xps 16 and have the same clilcking noise. Help??

1 Message

June 3rd, 2013 22:00

It Worked. Great Job Bro. Thanks a Lot.

No Events found!