Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 19th, 2010 21:00

Dell Studio 1555 power button cable

I have a Dell Studio 1555 that the right side of the lcd bezel popped out on and the 3 wires to the power button all broke loose.  I haven't a clue what the attachment order on the power switch board should be.  I can identify position 1 because it is marked on the board.  Any help in the placement for the blue, white and green wires would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

2 Posts

March 25th, 2010 17:00

Fantastic used the above to wire up the Wifi search button as power.

Also if you want the white Wifi LED to light up as power, put the Red cable in place of Green, so in the diagram above the plug runs:

Brown - Red - Black

I left all others disconnected (cut them off infact) and the wifi LED and wifi button work for power!

Cheers Joostr!

17 Posts

May 13th, 2010 18:00

Does anyone have a link to Dell where they describe the removal steps for the side bezel? I found the page for the LCD bezel (the plastic around the LCD) but not the side where the power and wifi buttons are.

for my 1537, there are only three wires (white, blue and grey) to the power button.

Thanks.

4 Posts

May 14th, 2010 18:00

Nope, you have to pry the lcd bezel off.  Mine had an obvious wire not connected to the button chip (I can't imagine the wire being damaged anywhere else unless someone poking around inside your computer damaged the connection to the motherboard). 

17 Posts

May 14th, 2010 18:00

If I only want to check if the cable is indeed broken, do I need to disaeemble the dispaly assembly?

4 Posts

May 14th, 2010 19:00

Those steps should give you a pretty good view of the connections, yes.  Replacing that wire, however, is a completely different matter and does require you to remove the lcd.  

17 Posts

May 14th, 2010 19:00

Nope, you have to pry the lcd bezel off.  Mine had an obvious wire not connected to the button chip (I can't imagine the wire being damaged anywhere else unless someone poking around inside your computer damaged the connection to the motherboard). 

So the steps are:

1) remove media center cover

2) remove keyboard

3) pry the lcd bezel off while the display assembly is attached to the base?

17 Posts

May 14th, 2010 21:00

found out it is pretty easy to remove the LCD bezel. From the look of things, I guess the repeated lib opens and closes cause the tiny wires to break.

22 Posts

May 15th, 2010 15:00

ON Model Studio 1535, 1537
Possible to power on the computer
With the MEDIA DIRECT button only.

:emotion-11:

17 Posts

May 15th, 2010 16:00

ON Model Studio 1535, 1537
Possible to power on the computer
With the MEDIA DIRECT button only.

:emotion-11:

yes, but not consistenly.

At times, I have to disconnect the AC power adapter and remove/insert the battery before the media button can power up the laptop.

17 Posts

May 17th, 2010 13:00

I want to re-soder the wires to the power buttoncircuit board but there is some kind of epoxy over the three soldering points. What is the best way to remove it?

17 Posts

May 25th, 2010 10:00

Looks like re-solder the broken wires is not that simple and is looking into replace the cable...

To replace the cable, do I need to remove the dispaly assembly from the main unit? When I remove the LCD bezel, I can't see how to access the screw that holding the wifi catcher circuit board inplace.

6 Posts

May 25th, 2010 11:00

When the side bezel is removed, you should be able to remove the locking screw.

Check the image below.

From studio

17 Posts

May 25th, 2010 12:00

When the side bezel is removed, you should be able to remove the locking screw.

Check the image below.

From studio

My wifi catcher board is different from the one in your picture. Mine look the same as the power button circuit board. Is the picture from a 1537? My wifit catcher circuit board is attached  wtih screw to the side bezel.

6 Posts

May 25th, 2010 12:00

This is a 1735. Thought it would be the same...

17 Posts

May 25th, 2010 17:00

I took a short cut. Instead of replace the whole cable, I just hook up the cable to the power button and hid rest of the cable behind the LCD. Don't really use the wifi catcher button anyway. By  doing so, I saved the time to dis-assemble the display assembly and the risk of breaking the new cable while attaching it to the wifi catcher button.

No Events found!