Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2013 01:00

Dell Studio 1558 - Graphics Card Switching

Hi,

I have Dell Studio 1558 having 4 GB RAM, Intel i5-460M processor and ATI 545v graphics card. Since recent past, I've faced critical hardware issue which caused my laptop to crash in middle of something and never goes UP then after. I can see the power LED on, CPU FAN is ON, HDD and USB ports alive and even DVD drive is also live, though I cannot see anything on the screen other than darkness. It means my screen only goes blank.

I've analysed this with one of the dell expert and came to know that it is a graphics card memory issue, which needs motherboard replacement as my card is integrated and cannot be replaced individually.

Also I came to know that the onboard process of my processor i5-460M (click to see spec), already has Onboard Intel HD graphics which is disabled because my laptop has ATI card.

I want to ask experts over here on this community weather I can do something that can enable Intel HD graphics and disable ATI graphics ? In simple words, switching between Onboard graphics and ATI graphics. Is it possible to do so ?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 03:00

No, it's not possible.   The mainboard is hard-wired to use the ATI video chip only.

If the ATI chip fails, the mainboard must be replaced.

September 23rd, 2013 04:00

But the processor already has an Onboard Graphics.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=50179

Mainboard can't be tricked somehow to use it ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 05:00

No.  Current designs are hybrids - both video circuits can be used.  Yours is an older design that pre-dates this technology - you cannot use the on-chip GPU in your system.

2.6K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 13:00

Hello Krunalhp123,

As Ejn63 has said, the Studio 1558 was shipped with the following graphics options: 

• The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) HD (Integrated)
  • AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 (Discrete)
  • AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (Discrete)

The discrete graphics cards are soldered on the motherboard and cannot be disabled. Hence the motherboard needs to be replaced. The Dell part numbers for the motherboard is WH277.

You may contact our Spare Parts and order any of the above mentioned motherboard. Contact number for Dell Spare Parts sales team # 1-800-357-3355 (US Customers only).

February 26th, 2014 00:00

Dear Allan,

can you tell me if the GMA type motherboard are compatible to my studio 1558, which came with ATI 5470 GPU? if it is, can you tell me its model no. and price? my damaged motherboard GPU driving me inquire about this. my motherboard model is 4DKNR. plz reply ASAP.

thanks in advance.

snehasish

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 26th, 2014 04:00

Yes, you can use a UMA board -- but you'll need to replace the heatsink-fan assembly with the mainboard.

March 3rd, 2014 01:00

thanx enj63,

but, would u b a little bit specific about UMA board and can u specifically tell me the model no.?

thanx in advance

snehasish

1 Message

May 17th, 2014 23:00

It's pain going with Dell. I have a similar problem and dell says they have stopped manufacturing STUDIO 1558 model, hence your motherboard cant be replaced even. Disgusting..!!! Moreover, after one year of purchase DVD RW stopped working. Surprisingly, everything worked fine till the warranty period

1 Message

February 17th, 2016 04:00

Hi Allan,

I also have a Dell 1558 but with the i7-740QM processor and 6GB of Ram.  Same problem as the other guy described in that I am getting a black screen.  It would appear everything else is running.  The guy at the local computer repair shop has said that the problem being encountered is due to video card is no longer working, it's an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 -  1GB card.  With the processor that I have is there any chance of being able to bypass the ATI HD 5470 video card and instead use the Intel graphics driver in its place?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 17th, 2016 06:00

Not with this system, no - it's not a hybrid system.  It has either ATI (AMD) OR Intel GPU - not both.

If you replace the mainboard to solve the problem, you MUST use another ATI-based board - the i7-740QM has no onboard GPU -- none of the first-generation Core i7 quad mobile CPUs do.  The CPU will not work with a board designed for Intel video - you must use one that has an ATI GPU aboard.

No Events found!