Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2012 17:00

Dell Studio 1558 Very Heavy Lag Issues

I have had my Dell Studio 1558 laptop for a bit over 2 years now. When I play a game (eg. Counter-Strike Global Offensive, Counter-Strike Source, The Sims 3, Call of Duty Black Ops, Black Mesa etc) it works perfectly for about 15 minutes, then the FPS drops down to 15 or lower. About 2 weeks ago, a guy from Dell came out to fix the motherboard which had clapped it in (the computer wouldn't start), but works fine now apart from the lag issue. This morning while playing one of the games it dropped down to 2 FPS and the music I was listening to was just crackling. 

I read on a few other forums that it was due to dust and the CPU/Graphics Card was over heating. The unit does get very hot ( CPU: 72c - Videocard: 69c - Harddisk: 53c ). So I would take it apart and try to clean it out, but I'm not confident incase it breaks.

Has anyone else had this occur? What may fix it? Thanks in advanced for the input.

Things I have tried:

• Re-installing Windows 7.
  • Using 3rd Part FPS Boosting software.
  • Closing all other applications and un-used services.

SPECS:

• Core i5 2.27GHz
  • 4.00 GB Ram
  • 64 Bit OS
  • Win 7 Home Premium
  • 1GB ATI Radeon HD
  • 15" Screen

October 5th, 2012 20:00

Ok, Fixed the problem. I took the laptop apart and cleaned out all of the dust on the CPU Fan that had accumulated over the past 2 years. (It was out of warranty anyway). It used to blow hot air out through the fan and now its cooler. (CPU: 41c - Videocard: 41c - Harddisk: 45c). I played the same game as before that lagged and now it's fine. Getting around 50-60 FPS with no lag.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 6th, 2012 00:00

Hello Harry,

I am glad that the issue got resolved through the troubleshooting steps you performed.
Your post would really help a lot of customers who face similar issue.
One more  step i would like to suggest is updating the BIOS to its latest version for a better performance.
Below is the link to update the BIOS.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/studio-1558?driverId=R301434&osCode=W764&fileId=2731117857
Hope you find this useful.

No Events found!