Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2013 00:00

Dell Studio 1747 DC jack problem?

My laptop recently started showing AC adapter can not be determined and has now slowed down my pc usage once again. This has happened before but it somehow magically fixed itself. In the bios it used to show 90w adapter but would not charge. Now it shows as unknown and I'm thinking the problem could be the DC jack? The chargers work fine on a different dell laptop I have, they charge that battery and have there status of 90w adapter in the bios. Now I'm wondering where to purchase one of these from dell if it even is this problem, as i am out of warranty of my laptop. I'm capable of changing it myself as i have regular experience of cleaning the fan and changing the thermal paste on my CPU.

Just a side note also, when this problem is resolved should i purchase a 130w Adapter? Will the laptop draw the extra power and make it faster? As i remember the issues of my laptop randomly shutting down and throttling from the previous bios settings and just thinking of getting one to see.

Thanks,
Damon 

1.3K Posts

May 29th, 2013 00:00

Hi Damon,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

The error message can be caused by any of the following:

•An unsupported AC adapter is connected to the system or docking station.
•The AC adapter is not fully connected to the system.
•The wall power cord is not fully connected to the AC adapter.
•The AC adapter or system's AC adapter port is damaged.
•The AC adapter is not recognized in BIOS(System Setup).

Please click on the link below for troubleshooting steps for resolving this issue.

http://dell.to/116Q4mq

Let us know if you require further assistance. We would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2013 04:00

Hi Damon,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

June 3rd, 2013 13:00

I've already used this guide, to no avail. I've updated the bios when A14 was released as this series had throttling issues. The chargers are not the issues and i ave replaced the AC jack cable for a brand new one and i's still getting the same error. Everything is connected and it should be working. I've also removed the battery and tried it.

This needs to fixed with a bios update in my opinion. Remove this stupid feature as it just ridiculous, i have two dell official dell chargers and two official dell batteries and this problem still occurs. The computer even charges the battery and works full speed when i plug it in for 15 seconds, then it tells me it can't charge the battery.

Please help me find a solution as this just complete shuts me down whilst on my laptop, tasks take longer and videos are glittery and slow.

Thanks, Damon. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 14:00

If that's the case, the problem is with the power jack or the mainboard.

Try replacing the power jack first:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

if that doesn't solve the problem, the mainboard needs to be replaced.

June 14th, 2013 19:00

Just as a side note, the board is not damaged in anyway, there is no physical damage and just seems to be this thin pin.

June 14th, 2013 19:00

I have found the root of the problem, the problem is the main board power jack connector. one of the six pins is black and seems to have been burnt a little, there is no cable damage but i have bought a second cable as well to try.Both work and I can get the laptop to charge and work on full power sometimes but i have to keep moving the cable. I was just wondering on how i should proceed on this? And how to clean one of the 6 six pins without doing further damage, Thanks.

No Events found!