Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2013 13:00

Dell Studio XPS 1647 Beep Codes?

Hello,

Please forgive this post if it's been asked before. I searched the site but couldn't find the answer.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 1647 that suddenly won't turn on. When I first press the power button I get a dark LCD screen and 6 beeps followed by a pause, then 5 beeps. I believe this is a beep code 65? I can't find what this means anywhere on the site. Any information as to what this means is greatly appreciated.

I also noticed the CPU fan does not power up. I have replaced the fan with a new one and had disconnected all the power including the BIOS battery for over several days while the new fan was shipped. It still gives me the same beep code.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

Hi,

The beeps codes does not indicate any error. This system has LED indicators. which are the mute, volume up and volume down buttons. They would flash a sequence to indicate a point of failure. Please observe and share the sequence (example mute button flashing, volume down button solid and and volume up button solid).

I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics (if possible) to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Beep Code   Possible Problem

One Possible system board failure — BIOS ROM check-sum failure

Two No RAM detected

NOTE: If you installed or replaced the memory module,

ensure that the memory module is seated properly.

Three Possible system board failure — Chipset error

Four RAM read/write failure

Five Real Time Clock failure

Six Video card or chip failure (Actually 7 beeps is more common)

Seven Processor failure (GPU Is unsoldered) Reflow Fixes this.

Eight Display failure (LCD Cable or Display is broken)

4 Posts

July 24th, 2013 14:00

Hi and thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate it greatly.

No error codes on the LEDs. They light up like normal when the system worked. I can even press each button and they light up and dim like they did when the system worked fine. However the screen never lights up so I can't access Dell Diagnostics and the CPU fan (now replaced with a new one) never spins up. Also the hard drive never loads.

It seems to me the system is not passing a BIOS check. I cleared the BIOS by pulling the battery and leaving it out for several days.

I also experimented with the RAM by removing one module, then the other and attempting to boot. No luck. I get the same beep code regardless so I don't think it's a RAM issue.

Is there any documentation as to what a beep code 6-5 is on an XPS Studio 16 (1647)?

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 24th, 2013 15:00

Hi,

Finding a document for the beeps codes may not be possible as the beep code does not indicate any error for this specific model.

Let's test the LCD of the computer for functionality.

Run the LCD BIST. To run the LCD BIST (Built in Self-test):

• Power off the computer
  • Press and hold the D key on the keyboard while pressing the power button, then release both at the same time.
  • This will initiate a grey screen, then Red, then Blue, then Green, then White
I would also suggest you to connect an alternate monitor and check if the system responds.

4 Posts

July 25th, 2013 01:00

Yes Appu, the LCD did light up and showed the series of colors as you indicated. At the end of the test I heard the beeps again and then the system still didn't POST. The LEDs on the control panel lit up but didn't flash any kind of error either.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 25th, 2013 17:00

Hi,

The beeps could be due to any stuck key on the keyboard. I would suggest you to carefully check the keys on the keyboard for any stuck keys. Also, try to re-seat the keyboard and the LCD cable. You might also want to re-seat the RAM and check. Here is the Service Manual http://bit.ly/10TlJxu. Please ensure to follow safety instructions.

1 Message

May 14th, 2014 16:00

Hello, I am experiencing the exact same problem you described and am very curious if you ever found a solution.  The LCD test worked the same also.  I will probably open it up at some point and see if something came unattached, as we did have a repair done recently.

Thanks for any information.

4 Posts

May 14th, 2014 17:00

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately I never was able to fix the laptop so it wound up getting scrapped. I apologize for not posting a final result here. I know from personal experience that its tough to find a solution when people only post their problems and fail to follow up.

2 Posts

July 8th, 2014 19:00

Are you a certified DELL technician or what? By saying that "beep codes does not indicate any error" just proved you do not know anything about computers. Beep codes are there to diagnose problems before the computer boots up, but these codes are limited to memory errors, and other hardware malfunction before the operating system could be loaded to RAM. And NO, you can't run Dell diagnostics if your computer doesn't even turn on. And YES, I am a COMPTIA A+ certified PC technician.

1 Message

July 8th, 2014 22:00

So, if I have SEVEN beeps, which indicates 'process failure'...what does that mean exactly?  An expensive fix or a whole new laptop?  :emotion-7:

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 9th, 2014 05:00

It's either a mainboard or CPU failure - depending on the model, that may mean the same thing (most systems of recent vintage have soldered-in CPUs, so failure of either means both need to be replaced).

1 Message

March 23rd, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Due to a fried GPU, I've upgraded to the motherboard with the 1GB ATI 4670. I am getting the mute button blinking, with the volume up and down buttons steady. Anybody have any insight into this particular error? I do not get any beeps, do not get anything on the screen so can't get to the bios menu, and the system automatically turns off after about 15 seconds.

I already have the correct heatsink and y503r motherboard installed and am wondering if there are steps I need to take for bios etc. to make sure that I can start up Windows without any issues. 

Any advice about the blinking lights or switching motherboard and bios information would be very helpful. 

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 23rd, 2015 11:00

Those lights blinking = bad ram.

These have ATI Mobility Radeon 3670  they do not have HD4670 which is a Desktop Board.

Dell Part Number: Y503R 0Y503R CN-0Y503R
Compatible Part Numbers: 31RM3MB0020 DA0RM3MBAD0
Compatible Models: Dell Studio XPS 1640 Series

No Events found!