Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2014 04:00

Dell SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Docking Station is Super Junk

I purchase a brand new XPS 15 top of the range laptop. On the same web page I purchase a 'pushed' additional docking station - a 'Dell' docking station. 

So Upon arrival, I assume this is the correct equipment for my new PC.

First of all, it arrives with an installation CD, for a laptop that has no CD - what kind of shop is this?

So I plug the device in, and some activity happens, however Wifi is then suspended, there goes the first hour, turns out it is something to do with the drivers.

Next, I search for the drivers, and end up finding the third party company DisplayLink (this took ages) and download their drivers.

These I download, and install, and then get BSOD, and have to revert to a full re-install!

I then spend time wondering why my PC sleeps, when I shut my laptop lid whilst connected to the dock and external monitor.

This turns out to be because, unlike every other docking station, this one does not supply power, so you have to plug-in extra power, this is not in the schematics on the manual.

This means you have to use your laptop either with the lid open - assuming you have room, or another power cable draped across your desk, not very elegant.

So it is not a docking station as you would understand, it is a mere Port Replicator, one that installs drivers that can BSOD your machine.

at £131 (another annoying point as the US price is $139!) this is the most expensive cable tidy in the world.

I could try and return it to Dell, but the box is hard to reassemble and their call centre are experts and stripping away my resolve - such that I know I will just end up with a very expensive USB Hub.

My advice - don't buy.

First when plugg

No Responses!
No Events found!