Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

February 16th, 2015 08:00

Dell System Detect: There was an issue running diagnostics

It sounds like the fan is failing but I want to test it first.

When I ran the diagnostics, received message that Dell System Detect "application may not be running" so I authorized the download, went through updating and installing but the process stopped with message "There was an issue running diagnostics."

Any help on how to complete diagnostics?

February 17th, 2015 15:00

Forget your diagnostics read here :

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19617992?pi21932=1

Hope this helps

February 17th, 2015 15:00

You can actually run an ePSA diagnostic test instead.

**EPSA - Desktop:

Kindly turn off the computer first. Then turn the system back on and then repeatedly press F12 until you reach the Boot options screen.

Then at the One Time Boot menu, press the to highlight Diagnostics, then press to begin test.

Please take note of any error codes it may generate.

**EPSA - Portable:

Please turn off the computer and press and hold key on your keyboard and press the power button to power the computer on. Then release both buttons.

The PSA diagnostics sequence begins. Please take note of any PSA error codes it may generate.

If the system provided an error code, for additional support feel free to enter on Chat: www.dell.com/.../tagchange;l=en&s=biz

or Phone: 1-800-456-3355.

February 18th, 2015 06:00

Thanks for the replies, FlobbleDiWobbleGooglyBear and Lee.

My problem isn't high speed, as though / because the processor is overtaxed. My problem is the periodic wailing sound, like the bearings are failing, that arises periodically.

I hit F12 and ran diagnostics on both the fan and the hard drive, both of which passed, so I don't trust the tests.

I had a similar issue a few years back on a different machine, thought it was the fan, so I replaced it. A couple months later, the hard drive failed -- that was a drag (I'm still looking for ideas / recommendations as to how to recover the drive, but that's another matter).

I've ordered a replacement fan ...

February 18th, 2015 08:00

Since the ePSA test passed, and the Fan is producing noise, it only means that the Fan itself is defective (mechanical issue). If your system is in warranty, you can contact Dell to get a replacement part even if the ePSA test passed, they will honor that, however by checking your reply, it looks like you already ordered one. :)

Lee

No Events found!