Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2013 11:00

Dell System Detect on Windows 8

Hi

I had to recently do a System Restore on my Windows 8 Dell Inspiron Laptop. After which my Dell system detect stopped working. I could not even un-install it. I had to use a 3rd party software to remove it.

I am unable to re-install the Dell system Detect. I have tried to do this using the PC diagnostics option in the Dell Support page but it does not work. It times out after some time saying that it could not connect to client services.

Any ideas for resolution?

regards

Pramod

5 Posts

Hi Zohaib

My Security solution for Anit-virus and firewall is McAfee. I did disable and try but I get an Application cannot be started error. Please find below the details of the log file.

regards

Pramod

PLATFORM VERSION INFO  Windows    : 6.2.9200.0 (Win32NT)  Common Language Runtime  : 4.0.30319.18051  System.Deployment.dll   : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL  clr.dll    : 4.0.30319.18051 built by: FX45RTMGDR  dfdll.dll    : 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL  dfshim.dll    : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES  Deployment url   : http://downloads.dell.com/tools/dellsystemdetect/dellsystemdetect.application

ERROR SUMMARY  Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.  * Activation of http://downloads.dell.com/tools/dellsystemdetect/dellsystemdetect.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:   + The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY  No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS  There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS  * [08/10/2013 18:38:31] : Activation of http://downloads.dell.com/tools/dellsystemdetect/dellsystemdetect.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS  Following errors were detected during this operation.  * [08/10/2013 18:38:31] System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException   - The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)   - Source: System.Deployment   - Stack trace:    at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.GetAssemblyInformation(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionIdentity DefinitionIdentity, Guid& riid)    at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetAssemblyManifest(DefinitionIdentity asmId)    at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(DefinitionIdentity subId)    at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.GetSubscriptionStateInternal(SubscriptionState subState)    at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionState.Validate()    at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.CheckAndReferenceApplication(SubscriptionState subState, DefinitionAppId appId, Int64 transactionId)    at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)    at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)    at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS  No transaction information is available.

953 Posts

Hi Pramod,

Sometimes the security application blocks Dell System Detect. What is your security solution (antivirus, anti-malware, anti-spyware, etc.)? If any such application is installed, check by disabling it and then installing the Dell System Detect. Also, which is the web browser you are using, is it anything other than Microsoft Internet Explorer?

953 Posts

October 9th, 2013 19:00

Hi Pramod,

It seems some of the important libraries required for installing Dell System Detect are missing from your computer. Was there any software change made to the computer recently (such as Windows Update)? If yes, please Restore Windows 8 to an earlier date and check if you are able to install the application. Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install new Windows updates if the last restore point is older than 7 days.

Do reply with results.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2013 02:00

HI Zohaib

Yes, the change was that I restored the Windows 8 to an earlier date i.e. a system restore. Its after this the dell system detect is having a problem. I am not having problem with any other software. Is there a way to get the installable and install these libraries directly.

The issue I think is that since the last restore point there was an update to dell system detect. So I think there is a disconnect between registry and files.

I am unable to also download the factory-software from dell website as dell system detect is not working.

regards

Pramod

953 Posts

October 10th, 2013 19:00

Hi Pramod,

In my opinion you should attempt to Refresh Windows 8 now. This will restore your computer to a state it was working before the changes happened. This will lead to automatically uninstalling some of the applications but will fix most of the system files related issues. Please check the below mentioned video for more details:

Reinstall or Restore Windows 8

I have not attempted to install any of these libraries so I wouldn’t be able to provide you with a method to re-install them.

Please revert for clarification.

5 Posts

October 18th, 2013 03:00

HI Zohaib

I would not like to do a refresh as its only the Dell system detect that is not working. Everything else is fine. Also now I have updated to Windows 8.1 :-)

Is there any one else who would be able to help me re-install the required assembly (the one creating the error).

thanks & regards

Pramod

953 Posts

October 18th, 2013 17:00

Hi Pramod,

Yes, indeed you should wait in the forum for some other user to respond to your post suggesting steps to re-install the missing/corrupt library files. As long as the computer is functional otherwise it is advised that you continue using the computer. In fact, there are other tools that aid you with updates/upgrades from Dell such as My Dell Support Center” and “Dell Support Center” these tools can also detect your computer’s Service Tag Number.

5 Posts

October 19th, 2013 07:00

Hi Zohaib By searching for the error on google I was able to resolve the Issue. The Following is what I did: 1) Deleted the contents of the "Apps" folder as recommended in the following discussion http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c868d369-2399-45c7-bc0b-2dd7d5443241/the-referenced-assembly-is-not-installed-on-your-system-exception-from-hresult-0x800736b3?forum=vbide 2) Restarted Laptop 3) ran the following command in admin mode rundll32 %windir%\system32\dfshim.dll CleanOnlineAppCache based on the discussion in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/605954/recommendations-for-clearing-out-clickonce-deployment-junk The diagnostics on Dell Support page are now working. :-) The 'analyse system for Updates' on the Drivers and downloads is not working. Need to figure this out. will search for a solution. Thanks for your support. regards Pramod

953 Posts

October 21st, 2013 18:00

Hi Pramod,

This is fabulous! I am glad to know that part of the problem is solved. If you find the fix for the other part of the issue please do post it here so that it helps other user. In the meantime I will also try to find the fix and also the users in the forum can view your thread and post a fix if available.

2 Posts

November 24th, 2013 21:00

Thang Pramod.

Got the problems after windows 8.1 update,

Your suggestion helped me.

1)Deleted "Apps" folder contents.2)Re-installed "Dell System Detect".

Now its working and I can "Analyze system for updates.".

Only problem is I cannot download my factory installed software.

Please help me if any body has any solution.

2 Posts

July 14th, 2014 22:00

The dell system detect application got downloaded but does not get installed with the message ( cannot install contact vendor) contacted dell support department but they could not provide me any solution.Please help me to solve the issue

No Events found!