Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2011 05:00

Dell VOSTRO 3550 / 3555 with external Monitor: Max.Resolution (VGA / HDMI )

Hello, I want  buy a VOSTRO 3550 (Intel) or 3555 (AMD)

Item 1:
The 3550 (Intel) has a graphics ATI Radeon ™ HD 6630M graphics card with 1 GB What is the maximum resolution for external monitors for

1.VGA
2.HDMI

Item 2:
The Quad Core 3555  with AMD A8-3500M has an Integrated Graphics ATI Radeon ™ HD Series What is the maximum resolution for external monitors for
1.VGA
2.HDMI

Item 3:
Can I run my monitor over HDMI with VOSTRO 24 "16:10 (not 16:9!) with 1920x 1200 (!) resolution ?   (Samsung T240HD) . 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 10th, 2011 15:00

Peter

For the most part the resolutions will be determined by the maximum display of the monitor that you are connecting to the notebook or by the type of cable itself. Typically that means 1080p for HDMI connections. Technically you can get up to 2048 × 1536 on a VGA connection likely you will limited to 1920 x 1200.  This isn't saying that you will be able to run games at these resolutions at high detail.

For further details I would check with the manufacturer of the display that you plan to use.

TB

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 9th, 2012 20:00

Hi Terry

I would continue the question and just expand it a bit. I own Vostro 3550 8GB RAM, 64bit Win7 with 2 graphic cards (ATI/Intel).

Now I'm planning to buy 2 monitors and use them instead of my laptop screen. Logically since I've got 2 graphic cards I should be able to use 2 monitors right?

My questions:

1) Is that possible to use both graphic cards at once and be able to connect each monitor to separate card?

2) If yes then is it possible to use a splitter from laptop's VGA socket to both monitors?

Will it in this case use 2 graphic cards or will split the signal just from one of them into 2 monitors?

Best regards

Voytek

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 10th, 2012 09:00

I don't have the information on what GPU is connected to what video port, typically the integrated gpu will be connected to the VGA while the discreet card connected to the other ports.  Regardless on how the system board is engineered each port will have a different channel from each port.  

You can connect a monitor to each port as each port will have a different channel

Yes you can use a splitter from the VGA port but that will be cloning the same image as it will only be one channel.

Just as long as you use both ports you can use extended displays between the two monitors.

I hope that this helps.

TB

January 21st, 2013 04:00

Hello,

I have a vsotro 3550, and wanted to know a similar question, the monitor I am using does not have a hdmi input, however I have manage to purchase a lead which is HDMI to VGA. Could you tell me how I get this to work? or should I say is it possible?

Many thanks

Steven

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 14:00

Hi Terry,

Along these lines, I'm looking at hooking up two external monitors to my 3555. I just upgraded to Windows 10. Is this function supported with this hardware, out of the box? It's a bit old, but it seems to be running very well, otherwise.

Thanks,

Dan

No Events found!