Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2010 16:00

Dell Vostro 1720 overheating. Need help.

Hi.

During certain activities, e.g. playing Quake Live and Half-Life 2 Demo, the laptop slows down to a crawl.FPS drops from the normal 60-125FPS to 0-12FPS for as long as 1 minute! This happens even with lowest level of detail and lowest resolutions! CPU-Z shows a drop of CPU speed from 2.4 GHz to >>>>>>266MHz<<<<<<< (probably the CPU wants to cool itself). This CRITICAL slowdown happens when gpu temperature indicator rises to 84-86 degrees Celsius. The CPU cores temperatures are around 80 degs also but i mostly looked at the GPU temp as it is highest and therefore displayed in speedfan tray icon.

Generally the ultimate slowdown problem manifests currently only in games but even when no game is running, the temperatures get close to the critical threshold during work and the fan is quite loud. Watching simple, small flash movies also seems to bump GPU temperature to 78degC and makes the fan quite annoyingly loud. As I avoid tinkering and i'm not an overclocker, I didn't use any apps like speedfan / cpu-z / gpu-z / ,,Nvidia system tools'', nor open the laptop case, until i noticed, that the fan is quite loud when completely idle. This problem did not occur with this magnitude, when the laptop was newer (it has 2-3months now). Only occasional 1 second hiccups which I didn't then recognize as related to temperature. Also the laptop seems pretty hot and loud when almost idle: GPU: 75degC, CPUs:68degC. When completely idle: I have never seen the GPU temp drop below 58degC. Additional QUESTION: what are the normal temperatures? GPU is Geforce 9600M GS. CPU is Intel Core 2 duo 2.4 GHz. I opened the laptop case to check for dust. Not that much dust was there. After removing the dust, the situation didn't seem to improve at all. I've read that, such problems may be related to amount/state of thermal grease ( http://danandsherree.com/2004/07/18/our_dell_inspiron_11.php ). If i were to check/fix that, will i loose warranty if i detach the heat pipe, radiators, etc. for that purpose? I would prefer not to send the laptop away for service, because i need it for work.

Also, is it ok, that the air blown out by fan, seems not hot but rather room temperature? The heat pipe is very hot (,,measured'' by fingertip). I also tried lowering GPU frequencies using NVidia system tools. But that was after noticing the problem; also this is another story in itself.

I paid relatively big amount of money for this laptop and what do I get? A loud, overheating laptop, whose CPU often slows down to a 266MHz CRAWL during CPU load. My previous laptop was ThinkPad R60 and it is way quieter and never overheats, even after 3 years.

Pleas help me.

TIA

1 Message

June 11th, 2014 20:00

Okay,

I recently had the same issue.....i found the problem. If you remove the bottom of the laptop which requires to partially remove the screen and remove the 2 screws under the screen in the middle of the two hinges. once you have the screen out and all the bottom screws you can lift the screen out of place just a bit then pull apart the laptop and unplug the three plugs then turn the laptop over and remove the black and white wires with copper heads on them and pull out the extra 4 wires with sleeves on them and remove the screen fully. once you do this you can now take the bottom off. once you do remove the coil with the 4 spring loaded screws in the x style coil. remove the coil and the fins will be clogged.....clean them out and your problem will be fixed.....take your time....remember to plug in the screen when your done just under the plastic flap.....good luck but it fixed my issue 100%

1 Message

May 30th, 2010 23:00

Hi,

I have the exact same issue with the same hardware (vostro 1720, nvidia 9600m GS, and Core 2 duo p8600 2.5 ghz).  The slowdowns occur about every 5 minutes when playing games (Civilization 4, torchlight, ect.). During the slowdowns the temperature increases greatly. All of my drivers are currently up to date and I have tried cleaning the system out as well.

My normal temperatures are:

GPU: 72 deg Celcius

Core 0: 58 deg C

core 1: 55 degC

Thanks

11 Posts

January 10th, 2012 04:00

Probzorun,

Regretfully, I do not have an answer, but am experiencing the same problem. I rarely play games, but when playing Popcap's Bejeweled 3, the laptop blacks out and becomes totally unresponsive after only 5-10 minutes of playing. Fan is blowing out tremendously hot air and almost smells like burned material ...

I'm really hoping someone -- hopefully from Dell -- can confirm this and/or come up with a fix.

By the way, I have the Vostro 1720 edition with Core2Duo T9550 with nVidia 9600GS video.

With kind regards,

Marcel

1 Message

April 20th, 2012 12:00

Hi all,

I've been experiencing similar issues with the Vostro 1720 (Core2Duo, nVidia 9600m, etc.), but haven't been addressing them until recently. My main issue was the apparent overheating, along with the corresponding drop in frame-rate.

After taking off the bottom panels, I noticed that there was a tremendous deal of dust buildup in the fan. It was pretty easy to clean- based upon my experience, I would recommend just taking the thin metal sheet partially covering the fan out and using some small, clean implements to clear off the heavy dust before using compressed air. The screws are quite small, so use caution when removing/replacing them.

So far, my computer has shown signs of improvement- then again, I only worked with the main fan. I intend to do a more thorough check this weekend.

Cheers,

Wyatt

No Events found!