Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2011 05:00

Dell Vostro 3700 Switch-Offs.

I am not very well up on the technical side of things so hopefully someone can help.

I am currently having issues with my laptop when playing games. The issus is mainly that the laptop is shutting down after around 10 minutes of play. The laptop does appear to be hot after it has shut down and I have been given information that points to this being to issue. A friend has informed me that the Dell Vostro 3700 had a design problem with it's cooling system. It has a heatpipe system to transport heat but the heat from the VGA card is transported through the CPU area, heating it up as well. This usually ends with a CPU in throttling mode due to heat and may lead to something like switch-offs. I am unsure as to whether any of this is true and have been pointed to the Dell support website in order to get more info and help to fix the problem therefore I am hoping somebody on this website can help.

I have looked into the games spec and have had it confirmed that the games in question should be able to be played on this laptop and that laptop can handle the games.

Dell Vostro 3700
17.3 High Definition (1600x900)
Windows 7 Professional
Hard Drive: 320GB (7,200Rpm)
Memory: 3072MB 1333MHz DDR3
Processor: i5-450M 2.4GHz
Nvidia GeForce GT 330M, 1GB Graphics

I look forward to hear from anyone with any help on this.

Thanks in advance

LD

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 5th, 2011 06:00

Dust Bunny infestation can keep the cooling fans from working properly.

3.8K Posts

July 6th, 2011 13:00

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you run an extended diagnostics on your computer, by pressing F12 at the Dell logo on startup, select diagnostics and then select extended diagsnotics. Post back with any error codes.

Thank you

Royan

August 25th, 2011 16:00

I have run into the same problem with my Vostro 3700.  I had the sensor problem then the unit ended up being replaced after my mobo was replaced and the replacement didnt fix the issue.  I have a replacement unit on the way to me and have been using a cooling pad since i got even my original unit.  The error code that i had been getting was 3900:0626

12 Posts

October 16th, 2012 14:00

The right driver helps the heating issue.

This is a link to NVIDIA's website, it scans your computer for the correct driver... EVEN IF IT IS NOT ON DELL's WEBSITE

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us

No Events found!