Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2012 10:00

Dell Vostro 3750 Screen Problems

I have a Dell Vostro 3750 and the screen has periodically goes to very colorful and fuzzy striped lines.  I've rebooted my computer every time this has happened and everything goes back to normal.  I'm wondering if my computer is just overheating and I just need to make sure it can ventilate or if it has some other serious problem.  Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on?  Thanks!

177 Posts

January 19th, 2012 22:00

Some people believe they have an ESD problem w/ some laptops.

ESD is a long shot but doesn't hurt to discharge your static electricity by touching grounded surface before touching laptop.

I had similar problem years ago due to faulty monitor.

I use coretemp 1.0 and keat "All CPU Meter" gadget to monitor 3750 temp. You can also get temps w/o risking an install by pushing dell support center  button located above keyboard. Click detailed system information. Then click processors.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2012 05:00

I have the same problem -purchased in May 2011-.  Updated BIOS and HD 3000 driver and still get the fuzzy screen.  The problem occurs intermittently, usually once or twice a week.  This computer is used several hours, everyday.  I have run the built-in diagnostics several times and no error (except for the one Dell says is normal) is returned.  Any guidance regarding additional trouble-shooting steps and repair would be most appreciated.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2012 18:00

I have the same problem but it only occurs when I touch the laptop and have a static charge built up.  Example, I get up and walk to the other room (on carpet) and come back and pick up the laptop.  I have tried this with the screen open and as soon as I touch it the screen goes funky.  Doesn't happen if I discharge first on something else.  Possibly a bad design in regards to grounding?

December 18th, 2017 21:00

Hi

I have had my Vostro 3750 laptop since January 2012, last year October(2016) and now again December 2017 i have got a black screen and green lines that appear. Sometimes the lines are on the left and in the vertical direction other times it has been different. Something that helped was if i tapped the top left corner of the laptop(near the power switch) and the screen would come back for a few minutes but then the same black screen would reappear. ( Just if you were thinking there are no loose connections, i have checked with a microscope).

I use two screens as well and when i use only an external monitor then the image is more or less fine. What solved my black screen was to dismantle the laptop and clean the dust out of the fins of the fan cooler. It has happened twice before and every time i have very carefully dismantled the laptop and cleaned the fins and clean off the old and put new thermal paste on the CPU and the graphics processor chip. I agree with some of the above mentioned comments, I think it happens when it is summer here where I live (South Africa) and there is a build up of dust in the fins and some kind of static interferes with the graphics signals. Don't quote me on this , it is just a theory.

My laptop is out of it's warranty period so that is why i went the route of dismantling the laptop myself.

There could be other causes but i thought this has happened to me twice and i have fixed it twice so let me share....

Kind regards,

Casey

No Events found!