Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2011 09:00

Dell Vostro 3750 - USB 3.0 Troubles

I have a 3 monthold Vostro 3750, I7, 1GB nvidia graphics, works great, coolest running laptop I have ever seen.  When I start the computer the usb 3 ports work for several minutes then shuts itself off and even my mouse will not work on them. When I plug the same mouse into the usb 2 port they work fine but the 3.0 ports will not work until I reboot the computer. I have loaded the latest Renesas USB 2.1.25 driver and there still appears to be no solution to the problem.  The usb 3.0 issue seems to be a common problem, at least on Vostro machines. With 2 USB ports out of a total of 3 being non-functional, it is getting to be a nightmare using my USB peripherals, which i have managed to circumvent with 2 USB 2.0 hubs serially connected to each other.

I hope someone has the right solution to this USB 3.0 problem.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 27th, 2011 12:00

Uncheck the box in the device manager  that says allow windows to turn this device off to save power.  Do that for all usb Root hubs.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 5th, 2011 03:00

I have exact same problem. when to connect your drive to the port YUSB 3.0 it works a couple of minutes and then stops working again after an overload of work a couple of minutes and then stops working. del vostro 3750 ntel Core i7-2630QM (2.0 GHz) / RAM 8 GB/ HDD 750GB / NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M, 1GB

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 5th, 2011 03:00

it does not solve the problem.

177 Posts

December 8th, 2011 14:00

I've noticed several USB 3.0 issues were reported  on i7 nvidia equipped XPS and Vostro laptops.

Curious if any USB 3.0 issues were found on intel graphics 3000 or i3 equipped computers?

I have a 3750 i3 intel 3000 on order and am willing to do some simple tests on a virgin machine if anyone is interested.

1 Message

December 12th, 2011 19:00

I have the same problem with my 3750 i5. also have to unplug it if I reboot so the laptop can find the OS..

177 Posts

December 13th, 2011 01:00

Been running usb 2.0  ( mouse, keyboard, SD card and HDD)  in my i3 intell 3000 vostro 3750  usb 3.0 ports w/o any problems.

Only problem I've found so far is I failed to a get backlit keyboard. Could have sworn I saw backlit before  adding Vostro to cart. Bummer.

swade56. I understand you have to unplug usb 3.0 device to find OS . Have you tried to disable usb boot in BIOS? Perhaps there is a bootable image on your USB 3.0 device thats confusing Win 7?

January 10th, 2012 15:00

I have just had a client with one of these models. There is a design flaw on the motherboard. If it is still under warranty then send it back. You shouldn't have to do any of the things suggested in these post.

Pete

177 Posts

January 10th, 2012 15:00

My Vostro 3750 i3-2330 Intel HD 3000 graphics does not have a USB 3.0 problem w/ USB 2.0 devices.

I use USB 2.0 mouse in USB 3.0 port all the time w/ no problem.

I don't own a USB 3.0 device for testing.

9 Posts

November 18th, 2012 02:00

I experienced similar problems, when trying to connect two identical USB 3.0 disks (working as a software RAID1).

The disks switched off shortly after connection and only after reboot (without those disks) and reconnection they were visible again (for a short time).

Finally I've decided to upgrade the uPD720200 firmware and the drivers: www.station-drivers.com/.../renesas.htm

It helped a little. Now the system works with ONE USB 3.0 disk connected (both in Windows and in Linux).

However I'm still not able to use two disks simultaneously.

9 Posts

November 20th, 2012 09:00

I was able to work with two disks simultaneously , when I connected them via the USB3.0 hub. Of course then I have only half of the bandwidth for each disk, but at least they are working...

I don't know if it works with the original uPD720200, as there is no way to downgrade...

4 Posts

November 20th, 2012 10:00

You might have an issue with the disk ID.  If the external hard drives are from the same maker, and the same model especially, I run into this often.

Go into your windows computer management (START > COMPUTER > Rightclick: MANAGE > STORAGE) and you'll see both listed but with one in "offline" mode.  Simply right click the "offline" disk and select "Online".  Should come up and work.  

If this is not the issue, then you have a USB card/port issue like I do, yeah.  Although when my ports drop out, not even a hub will work through them.

1 Message

June 3rd, 2013 13:00

Hello all! This questions seems still not to be answered. I also have a Vostro 3750, I7. Maximum speed of the USB 3.0 ports that I reached was around 30 Mbps only. They get disconnected if I try to copy a larger file to my external HDD Toshiba 1,5 TB STOR.E BASICS. The USB 3.0 ports get power off also everytime I try to run benchmark with ATTO Disk Benchmark.

I updated the driver Renesas USB 3.0 to Version 2.1.39.0 and the firmware to Version 4.0.2.1.0.3 (from www.station-drivers.com/.../renesas.htm) but still no result. I am still running into troubles.

Did anybody of you find a solution to this? Any ideas? How are you dealing with this?

August 5th, 2013 20:00

There is no solution to solve this issue. Aparently this is a hardware problem because the issue happens even in linux. I already updated the driver and firmware to the last version available but the problem persists.

when the usb port is not recognized, I usually use the last program to update the firmware again. after the process, the port and the peripheral in it connected are available to use again. It is not an elegant solution, but given the circumstances, (I can not afford a new laptop at the moment), solves the problem until the next shutdown.

1 Message

January 12th, 2016 17:00

I DOWNLOAD DRIVERS FROM 

downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19880/USB-3-0-Renesas-Electronics-USB-3-0-Driver

AND WORK .

1 Message

March 30th, 2017 07:00

Perfect, perfect, perfect!

After so much despair and long search, this is the simple and perfect solution.

Many thanks. Apologies for the Unlike - I was happy excited - wanted to give Like :-)

No Events found!