Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 13th, 2009 08:00

Dell Vostro A840 Windows XP USB Device Problem

Hello.

I just have this Dell Vostro A840 which came preloaded with Vista, Sadly. Anyway as We buy it for use it here and as we have some XP licenses with try to install it.

However I realize that some peripherals didn't get installed, as at first time the order was ramdom for the drivers installation, I came to the Dell Oficial drivers order installation guide, which can be found here

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/driver_install_order?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~lt=print

I did the installation as the installation guide tell me to.

I used the CD which came with the laptop as in the site they're just listed for Vista32.

After all is done, I need the Wireless drivers cause the Which from the CD and from the site are for Vista only

I found it here

http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R193564.exe

There came the Issue with the " Base System Device" which After the installation of the Ricoh drivers all went fine.

But the real and big problem are the "USB Device" which I couldn't find the drivers nor even I know which hardware is it.

So can somebody please help?.

I don't even ever installed an USB device yet.

5 Posts

March 13th, 2009 12:00

All is fine, except that I dont know why the Wireless driver doesn't let to be install.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

This is crazy

5 Posts

March 13th, 2009 12:00

OK.

I found the sollution, was the Bluetooth drivers.

So Let write a new Dell Unnoficial Guide For Laptops Drivers Installation For Windows XP on a Dell Vostro A840.

The following list is an overview of the correct order to install drivers on Dell desktops and portables. After reinstalling Microsoft® Windows®, follow the order listed when reinstalling drivers. It is recommended that you print this list for reference when installing drivers.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

1.   Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. This is located under the System Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

This driver isn't listed in the site for the Dell Vostro A840 but you can find on Google the file "R193108.exe"

2.   Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

After Installation of the Chipset you should install the RICOH drivers, which you can find here
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/downloads_splash?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~mode=popup&file=260999

3.   Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

4.   Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

5.   Laptops Only: Dell Quickset or Dell Control Point Manager (DCP) - Controls power management, ambient light sensor, wireless profiles, and security features on laptops. This is located under the Applications on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6.   Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

7.   Modem - Allows dial-up capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

8.   Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

The Wireless Drivers listed on the site will not work for this laptop, so get these one

9.   Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Input Device Drivers Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

10.  Other Devices

• Intel vProTM  or AMTTM  - Enhances system manageability. This is located under the Chipset Category on on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • Bluetooth ®  Module located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • PCMCIA/Smartcard controller located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
  • Touch Screen Digitizer Enables touch screen mouse control available on select Dell laptops. This is located under the Input Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Last but not the least are the Bluetooth drivers

which you can find here

http://ftp.us.dell.com/comm/R192727.exe

No Events found!