Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 4th, 2009 06:00

Dell Vostro A860 BIOS password problem

I have recently purchased a Dell Vostro A860 machine from Karachi, Pakistan. Today when I switched on my laptop, it has started to ask for a BIOS password in order to proceed with system. Since I never applied one, I am unable to provide a valid password and get through with this problem. I therefore request you to please guide meas to how to get through with this problem. I am at a loss without my system as all my important files and documents have become unaccessible. A prompt favorable response is requested.
NOTE: When I contacted the seller for the Master BIOS password, he said he dont have any.

Thanks for the prompt response.

First of all I'm interested in knowing that how this would have happened (I mean to say how and why an automatic password has been applied to system BIOS?) About a year back, I had the same problem with laptop of another company and the same seller resolved the issue through some means of his own. Now he is insisting that the password would not have been applied, rather I would have applied the password and then forgot it. But I am sure that I never applied it. I have been using desktop and laptop PCs for over 13 years now, but have never applied any password to my machines, other than Windows login password. Please guide me on this issue.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

MAKE SURE the seller transferred the ownership into your name.  Then call Dell and be prepared with your ownership information.  You will be assisted by technical support.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 4th, 2009 07:00

There's no way to know - someone else could have set the password, or it could be indicative  of a hardware failure.

No Events found!