Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2014 13:00

Dell Webcam driver

I had a seemingly easy task turn into a whole big thing this first day of 2014. I recorded myself on my Webcam (Inspiron/W7). You could barely hear the audio even though the volume was turned up. I began following a troubleshooting tip from Dell (My warranty expired in October) to uninstall and reinstall the webcam driver. I kept getting an error code, perhaps for being out of warranty, so I turned to CNET for a couple of downloads I thought might work. I ended up with a virus that I managed to contain by restoring to yesterday. My Webcam does not even open.

I either need to find out how to get a driver for free, or little money,  for the Webcam without having to redo the operating system. Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 1st, 2014 13:00

RiTexas,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

No Events found!