Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2017 15:00

Dell XPS 12 9Q23 - Rotation Sensor

Hello,

I've recently had to clean install Windows 10 onto my XPS 12 9Q23 convertible laptop. All is well apart from an issue with the rotation sensor. It seems to rotate the screen portrait without issue, but switching back to landscape is near impossible without disabling auto rotate and doing it manually with keyboard shortcuts. Never used to have issues with this prior to the clean install and I was running the same build of Windows 10. Also when flipping/folding the screen flat to use as a tablet, the laptop used to automatically enter tablet mode. It no longer does this either. 

I am running the latest BIOS, latest Video, chipset, touchpad drivers. LCD firmware is up to date, and all latest Windows 10 updates are installed. Seems to be quite a well documented issue as I have noticed other posts from a few years ago with similar issues, but only resolutions offered for the 9Q33 rather than the 9Q23. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19528623?pi41097=14#20462859

Wondering if anyone managed to ever get a resolution to this for the 9Q23? Thanks

Tom.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 5th, 2017 04:00

Hi tallen2,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your system is not working as you expected.

When you installed Windows 10 on the machine, were the drivers installed in the correct order?

Here is another Forum user with a solution that resolved their issue.

2 Posts

December 5th, 2017 05:00

Hi thanks for the follow up.

Yes the drivers were installed in the correct order. The other forum solution seems to be a solution to the auto rotate lock not working. The lock does work OK for me. My issue is that the laptop doesn't enter tablet mode automatically when the screen is flipped/converted and the rotate sensor seems very over sensitive when in desktop mode which it never used to be.

Previously Windows 10 was installed over the top of the Windows 8 factory image. This time it is a clean install. Wondering if there is a driver that is installed in the factory Windows 8 image that isn't available on the support website that makes the sensor to work correctly?

No Events found!