Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2014 14:00

Dell XPS 12 Convertible + Windows 7... What would happen?

Hello everyone!

Nearly 9 months ago, I bought a XPS 12, the one with the rotable Touchscreen. It worked perfectly until Windows 8.1 and Office 2013 stroke.

Long story short: I have a Windows 7 x64 Pro licence here and I would like to put her on the xps 12.

Here is the question: What would happen? Can I expect the very basics (Touchscreen, Trackpad, Internet) to work, or is a "downgrade" to windows 7 impossible?

Thank you in advance!

94 Posts

March 13th, 2014 14:00

You will have no problem with "upgrading" to Windows 7. Just disable "Secure Boot" in BIOS and you are on your way. I have "upgraded" dozens of laptops and desktops to Windows 7 after Windows 8 came out with no problems whatsoever. The computers become faster and you don't have to log-in like Windows 8.1. I believe you can use your touchscreen with Windows 7 since the first one came out with Windows 7. I'm not a touchscreen person except on my Windows phone though.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

March 23rd, 2014 04:00

OK, I "officialy" tried to install Win 7 Pro x64 on a XPS 12.

Yes, I know there is NO Support for Win7 on this model.
No, I don't care ;-)But... Yes, I now have a huge problem :(

Installing via USB-Stick went smooth. Everything worked fine - exept the most important one, the touchscreen.

Lets say it is calibrated wrong... very wrong. The only point at which my touch is correct with the screen itself is the upper left corner. Going to the right side, it seems that 1 real pixel just equals around 0.5 for the touchscreen, so, touching the rightest corner possible, windows thinks it is near the middle... 1080 Pixel to be precisley.  When going upside down, it seems that 1 pixel equals 2 for the touchscreen.

Or in other words: The Touch-Sensors think they are 1080x1920, while windows assumes 1920x1080, or said otherwise: 90° rotated.

I now have to questions:

1) Has anyone heard of a solution for this issue? (prefered)

2) How to get Win8 back (Cant find Win 8 ISO, BackUp-Partionion... Lets say no longer avaible).

Thank you in advance and sorry for eventually strange language (no native speaker).

No Events found!